Diary of a Sane Man

Monday, July 24, 2006

Oceans

I have five older sisters. Five very fertile sisters. Despite all of their various pregnancies, I've never been to a baby shower. I had to join a gay rugby team to go to one. Oddly enough, the baby shower was for the straight guy on the team.

Fortunately, Jacque and John registered at Babies R Us. You would think that would make the shopping easier. It wasn't. None of the clothes are in any kind of order. So after 40 fruitless minutes of searching for the red satin dress, I went boring and got the froggy play mirror and some ducky towels and wash mitts.

As I was checking out, I gave the lady at the register the registry sheet to update what items were bought. She immediately said, "I've NEVER seen a GUY buy from a registry."

My penis instantly shrunk a few inches.

I puffed up my chest and dropped my voice a few octaves and told her that I was on a RUGBY team and it was for one of the GUY's on the team.

She scanned in a few more things then said, "Honestly, it's the FIRST time I've EVER seen a GUY buy off a baby registry."

Feeling completely emasculated, I walked out with my ducky towels and froggy play mirror.

Anyway... John and Phill hosted a very fun baby shower and I won some candy playing a baby shower game. :-D

Saturday I spent a few hours watching The Poseidon Adventure (the original classic) and Scream 2 as I rewired the lights to the upstairs fish tank. I saved $250 doing it myself. I basically had to completely rebuild the lighting canopy from scratch--new ballasts, new endcaps, new wires, etc. It took a long time but it was really rewarding when I clicked the buttons and the lights worked! I love projects like that.

Sunday was very exciting. I got to meet a fellow blogger in town on vacation. We've been following each other's blog for about a year now.

We had been communicating via e-mail for the past week trying to nail down a time we could meet for dinner (I didn't think meeting for coffee or drinks would cut it). Sunday was a good time for both (she got a babysitter and I cleared some time). So the big day finally rolled around and I called to confirm time and place. I was VERY nervous. I was FINALLY going to talk to her in person. But I got voice mail. LOL.

Earlier Kim suggested we invite Jeff to dinner too and he obliged. Jeff and I got to Barrio early and had a drink. Then Kim walked in and it was so cool. It was almost like a first date--I didn't talk much except for the fact that I was starving. But after a few minutes the conversation flowed and it was like catching up with an old friend.

The dinner was REALLY good!

After dinner we said goodbye to Jeff and headed up to Miggee B's so she could meet Joe (and we could have another drink). It's funny because after reading her blog for so long I knew she was fairly liberal and open-minded. But I never realized how much alike we were in the way we thought.

Joe liked her because he thought she is very sure of herself. I responded with, "Exactly! She knows what's right and doesn't understand when the world doesn't agree with her."

I think that kind of sums her up. Anyway--she's VERY cool. And I'm disappointed she and Jonny live so far away. I would love to hang out with them and talk rugby, politics, religion and everything else under the sun.

I guess I'll have to wait until they move back from Chengdu.

HAPPY TUNESDAY MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Kim has similar taste in music as me except for Pearl Jam (she liked Ten but nothing after). That's okay, Kim. We all have our flaws. ;-)

Since she did like Ten, I tried to find a fun song to dedicate. But nothing seemed to work--so here's Oceans. It's probably a love song but if you think of it in a different text, it could be about friends. :-)

Lyrics
Song Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home