Diary of a Sane Man

Monday, July 10, 2006

Don't Give Up on Us

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I can't write much because I have to get to bed soon. The thing is, I'm re-reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I've been a huge fan of Stephen King since I was 12. I used to go to the library (it was a short walk) during the summer and read just about anything and everything. That's when I read my first Stephen King book.

It's funny because, I already knew his work from the miniseries for Salem's Lot. It was broadcast in 1979 over two nights. Why my mother let me stay up until 11 p.m. to watch this I'll never know. But the movie scared the crap out of me. I'd like to see it again to see how it holds up. TNT did a remake last year with Rob Lowe that was just horrendous. :-(

Anyway, the book is really good. Stephen King has written some clunkers in the past (The Tommyknockers, Gerald's Game, etc), but when he's on -- he's REALLY on. I've actually read every novel he's ever written. And there's a shit load. What keeps me interested is not the scary parts (although there are many). What keeps me interested is the characters in the story. They are truly fleshed out. And everything that everyone does -- every action or thought -- makes sense.

In contrast, Dan Brown, although wildly popular, writes stuff that leaves me scratching my head. I can enjoy Dan Brown's stuff but when reading it, I know it's fiction. The things his characters do and say are just in left field. It all reads fake.

With King, I'm drawn in because of the verisimilitude.

Anyway, the book is extremely exciting and I've been staying up WAY past my bedtime each night to read....

In other news... I spent a lot of time with friends and by myself the past couple of days. It's been really nice. Friday I saw Pirates of the Caribbean with Kevin, Jay, Buddy and Phillip. The movie sucked -- read Jeff's review. It was really disappointing because I enjoyed the first one.

Saturday I went to lunch with Neil G. I only get to see him a few times a year now that he's a hotshot executive hobnobbing with celebs. So, it was nice that he set aside some time for me. Sunday I spent most of the day with the rugby board of directors. It was draining but good.

HAPPY TUNESDAY MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Salem's Lot, the miniseries, starred David Soul AKA Hutch from Starsky and Hutch (one of my favorite shows when I was a wee lad). In 1976, David Soul had a hit song called Don't Give Up on Us. I owned the 45 (I've always been into music). I think the B-side was Black Pea Soup or something really strange like that. Anyway. Thanks to the WWW, I found it. It's kinda cheesy, but hell. It was the 70s. I'm listening to it now and I swear I feel like a little kid again, playing records in my room. :-)

Lyrics
Song

7 Comments:

  • I'm just impressed you're the first blogger or person for that matter, I've ever read to use the word "verisimilitude" in perfect context. I am not worthy. You have taken the pebble from the master's hand. It is time for you to leaver.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Tue Jul 11, 01:29:00 AM MST  

  • I used to like that song....he needs to be on VH1's, "Where are They Now?"....or maybe he already has! As far as Stephen King....I'm one of the few who has never warmed up to him....but I do know what it's like to not be able to put a book down.....the only King books I've really enjoyed are "Carrie" and the short story, "Children of the Corn."

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Tue Jul 11, 01:46:00 AM MST  

  • Hello there once again, thanks for posting here about Stephen KIng... Oh really you had a chance to have lunch with Neil G., oh great. anyway speaking of King. The most intriguing of his work that i watch times and times was THE LANGOLIERS, it was a superb made to a film book of him. I hope you had seen that.. drop me a line please, may i know... Have a good week then!

    By Blogger NeiLDC, At Tue Jul 11, 09:29:00 AM MST  

  • I may have been watching Salem's Lot at the same time you were. It certainly scared the bejesus out of my little sister, she couldn't sleep in her room alone for a week. I think my parents were at the bar (they ran one as opposed to being lushes), so no one told us maybe she was a little young for it.

    Steven King's been hit or miss with me with mostly misses.

    By Blogger Robguy, At Tue Jul 11, 01:43:00 PM MST  

  • okay first off, Pirates of the Carribean was great, waaaay better than Superman Returns, yeah it was a little over the top, but it was a lot of fun, and I had to get up and pee three times it was so long, but well worth it.
    Secondly, Salems Lot didnt scare the bejesus out of me, it scared the SHIT out of me. Both the movie and the book, and I was 17 when I saw/read both.(no not in 76, 83 for me, I saw it in re-runs, dont make me old(er))
    The book I really enjoyed by King was The Stand, by far his best work, and at 1400 or so pages an easy read.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Jul 11, 11:44:00 PM MST  

  • I also read Stephen King and at one time, found myself ahead of his writing. I had to find other authors. I found Dean Koontz. Similar, but not as intricate. Read "Watchers" - that's my favorite. :o)

    By Blogger ~~~Aunt Laurie, At Wed Jul 12, 08:35:00 PM MST  

  • A few years ago, a drama teacher told me: "Stephen King has the greatests ideas... too bad he can´t write, as a writter he sucks!"

    Then I decided to give it a try, due to the fact I loved movies such as Pet Cematary, Dolores Clairebone (I don´t remember her last name!), between others... all bassed on his books.

    By then, I was already an Anne Rice fan so I was like "unconfortable" with the idea of starting reading another writter... but I gave it a try...

    and I started with the first book I found "THE TOMMYKNOCKERS"
    WROOOOOOONGGGGGGGG

    Then I said... ok, it was just a didiculous story, but it wasnt bad written, let´s try another---
    "HEARTS IN ATLANTIS"
    WROOOOOOOOOONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

    WTF was that??? I hated and decided not to read him anymore...

    SKING´s work definatlly comes better as a movie.

    is it possiblñe those are the worst things he wrote?

    I´m I missing something here???

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Thu Jul 13, 09:52:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home