Diary of a Sane Man

Friday, July 07, 2006

Time

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but youre older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines

I usually don't post songs on Fridays, but listen to this live version of Time by Pink Floyd. (It's a really great song from an amazing album).




OK. Before you think that I'm depressed because I'm quoting from Pink Floyd, think again. It's just a very appropriate song for me right now. I've inherited this terrible trait from my mother. My mother thinks that if she's not working a 16 hour day, taking one my nephews to Boys Scouts or taking one of my nieces to the movies she's lazy. Actually, I don't think that's her rationale for never stopping (it's far deeper than that), but that's a cursory explanation.

If I'm not at work, I'm at rugby or bowling or tennis or the gym. Or I'm working on board stuff. Or I'm working on my freelance writing. Or I'm cleaning the fish tank. Or I'm trying to do a little work on the house.

The problem with this equation is I'm never making time for myself or for others.

Last week, Joe had to ask me if he could get alone time with me. It seems that everything we've been doing lately has been joint activities with friends or rugby-related. I immediately apologized, set a date, and told him he'd have to keep me in check at times. He told me I needed to block out specific times for myself and for him and for friends and that was it. I had to say no to other things. He's right.

Then Jeff mentioned that if it wasn't for bowling we wouldn't see each other. Once again. He's right.

I certainly don't mean to not make time for others. I just get so caught up in the next chore that I forget.

Seeing the error of my ways I set aside Tuesday for just Joe and me. Ok. I started off the morning playing tennis with Tim. Then Joe had to sit on the couch and watch TV while I cleaned the fish tank. But the rest of the day/evening was just him and me. Until we met up with Amanda and Ryan to see Superman 3-D at the IMAX.

Ok... Maybe I'm not doing such a good job after all.

BUT!!! I'm trying. Next Friday we have a date. It's going to be fun. I'm looking forward to it. Just us two. I promise. :-)

9 Comments:

  • hmm. after 9 months, and requesting some 1 on 1 time.... i was told i was a selfish prick.

    man our relationships are different.

    then again.... mines over. LOL

    much love to ya both!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Jul 07, 10:11:00 AM MST  

  • I totally understand and know where your coming from...this is where that "romance" gene kicks in. By the way that is an awesome pic of a clock.

    By Blogger Ed, At Fri Jul 07, 10:46:00 AM MST  

  • I got needy!

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Fri Jul 07, 11:03:00 AM MST  

  • "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." --apparently everyone from John Lennon to TS Elliot and Bertrand Russell

    I'd probably say something like, "If you'll clean the fish tank while I freelance, I'd be happy to play a game of tennis with you or spot you at the gym." I mean what are you supposed to do sit around all evening challenging each other to a starting contest?

    By Blogger Dwayne, At Fri Jul 07, 12:53:00 PM MST  

  • You could have tons more free time if you started delegating responsibilities. Next time, ask Joe to clean the fish tank while you and I play tennis. I'm sure Joe won't mind, knowing that you'll be free to spend the rest of the day having fun with him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Jul 07, 04:52:00 PM MST  

  • Okay, who is this Tim guy? I thought you've been spending more time with Joe and now I see you're cheating on me with Tim. I could tell something was up. Those little awkward looks every time I would bring up tennis. Always off "writing" but you come home sweaty with green fuzz on your hands. I knew something was up. You dirty Wimbledon whore! Seeing you tonight at the movies will be awkward, but I'm okay, I can move on, I don't need you! (runs away sobbing uncontrollably).

    By Blogger AZJay, At Fri Jul 07, 05:49:00 PM MST  

  • Ya need to get with the indulgent times and hire yourself a personal assistant....no self-respecting thirty-something year-old should be cleaning his own fish tank. LOL :P

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Sat Jul 08, 05:32:00 AM MST  

  • 'I know! I know!!'

    'Aloha Kakahiaka and E'como mai to the Pineapple Ranch Time!'

    Mahalo nui loa...

    Aunties John and Phill

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sat Jul 08, 06:45:00 AM MST  

  • although i hate when it happens to friends, but... dude, c'mon! if i had a stud like Joe I'd have a hard time spending time with anyone but him! Get with the plan, rearrange those little planets in your solar system - there's a new star in the cosmic neighborhood.

    be well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Jul 11, 11:04:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home