Diary of a Sane Man

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Awesome

When I was 9, 10 or 11 years old (I honestly have NO idea--it was so freaking long ago), my sisters Karen and Michele, my dad, and I drove cross country from Baltimore to California and back.

We drove in a brand new station wagon. And it had cruise control. The cruise control wasn't built-in. It was a little box that hung below and to the right of the steering column.

This was the summer of 1980 - 1982 (pick one). Back then we didn't have modern conveniences, such as satellite radio, iPods, GameBoys or PSPs. We had to rely on spotty radio reception and each other for entertainment.

This meant we got on each other's nerves a lot. I especially irritated the girls because they were older, and well, girls. I'm sure my dad felt like pulling over the road at any given moment and dropping us off in the desert to find our way back home (preferably someone else's).

Surprisingly, my favorite moments did not come at DisneyLand. I really loved seeing the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon, Utah. We didn't stay long at those places--only a day. And we basically just got out of the car and looked. But I still remember thinking to myself that it looked fake. It was so damned pretty and so large that it just couldn't possibly be real.

The Grand Canyon is where I learned the word, "awe." Some guy standing next to my dad and I were talking to us. He said that he couldn't put into words the feelings he had looking, but that he was full of awe.

When I went back to the Grand Canyon in 1997, I understood what he meant.

I've been getting on Joe's case that we needed to go camping before the summer was over. It's a cheap way to go on vacation and it gets us out of Phoenix. The problem was, Joe has been working every weekend since he started back at his part time job.

So, he decided to quit and look for a different one because the hours are too much. This is good because we've been trying to take a mini vacation up at the Ranch, but our work schedules never permitted it. Now we can.

And he said we'd definitely go camping. So last night, I booked us a camp site at the Mather Camp Grounds on the South Rim. We're driving up Friday, August 11, and driving back that Sunday. It's short but I'm very excited!!!!

Joe's never been to the GC, so it'll be fun to see his reaction. Now I just need to rustle up some camping gear... Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

  • Well that will be alotta fun.....kinda glad Joe quit that job....we all need some leisure time, ya know?

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Sun Jul 16, 12:52:00 PM MST  

  • I won't be as "full of awe" like when I see you.

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Sun Jul 16, 01:15:00 PM MST  

  • Joe really needs to cool it with the sugarry sweet comments he leave on here and onn your MySpace page. I'm gonna throw up REAL soon. Damned lesbian life partners!

    - Buddy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sun Jul 16, 03:42:00 PM MST  

  • Awwww...

    I'm looking forward to taking Brian there too since he has never been there to experience it.

    I love it there in Winter though. Awe with frosting on top!

    By Blogger AveBeno, At Sun Jul 16, 05:42:00 PM MST  

  • Wow, sweet! We stayed at the Mather campground on the last Desert Adventures GC trip. It's great campground, you'll love it. The cool thing is that there's a grocery store within walking distance (if you need it), but at the campground you're surrounded by forest.

    Your description of when you first saw it matches mine exactly. In fact, I was very young but it's one of those memories that is burned into my mind and I will never forget. I distinctly remember getting out of the car, walking up to the stone wall at the edge of the particular lookout we were at. As I walked closer, the north rim appeared, as I walked closer and closer, the canyon appeared before and never seemed to stop, even when right at the edge. And it looked totally fake. Nothing in real life could look like that.

    Another cool thing is as I stood there, with my eyes and mouth wide open, my dad, ever the geologist, explained how long it took the Colorado river to carve it and described all of the different colored layers of rock and how old and what they were. Pretty cool.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Sun Jul 16, 08:06:00 PM MST  

  • Aloha and E' Como Mai!

    "The Ranch is also your complete Outfitter for Camping Gear!"

    You guys just need to let us know whatcha need and we will have it ready for pick-up! Also - picnic lunches and dinners to-go are available too - just let us know what the occasion is and we will have them in the cooler ready for ya too!

    Auntie Phill and Auntie John @ The Ranch!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon Jul 17, 07:31:00 AM MST  

  • My dad was a flight instructor when I was a kid, and he flew us over the canyon, It was kind of scary in a Cessana 150, I've always wanted to go and spend time there, like the Brady kids did. Ya'll have fun camping, I've been trying to talk Mike into a weekend camp trip, but guess I got to get my back better first. Ya'll have a great week.

    By Blogger DEREK, At Mon Jul 17, 05:57:00 PM MST  

  • Tell Joe to watch out for spiders . . . and bring a marker! :-)

    By Blogger Jen, At Tue Jul 18, 09:54:00 AM MST  

  • seeing as i spend a lot of time south in the summer no doubt i'll be somewhere on the north rim that weekend, holler atcha!

    and today i saw this pic that reminded me of your post and to come back and comment...

    http://www.studio1088.com/gallery/viewart.cfm?art=naturalwonder

    tak

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Jul 18, 11:35:00 PM MST  

  • Oh.. for a vacation...

    By Blogger Robguy, At Wed Jul 19, 11:33:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home