Diary of a Sane Man

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

White Rabbit

Saturday night was the annual awards banquet for the Phoenix Storm. It's funny to think that this time last year, I was dreading going to the event. The Storm invited someone from Echo to attend because they were giving an award for Echo's coverage.

Buddy was going up to Flagstaff for Pride and dumped it on me. I didn't feel like going because I was going to have to wear my suit (yes, I only have one) and I wanted to go out drinking that night.

Obviously, I went. I instantly fell in love with the cameraderie and the spirit of the team and asked if I could play too. 12 months later, I'm the starting weak-side wing, a board member and obsessed player.

At the banquet, Phill (head coach) and John (president of the board) hand out awards. Most are serious, but some are fun - like the Barbie awards. I was given the Scabby Barbie award, in honor of all of my various bloody knees, legs and arms.

When I first arrived at the banquet, I read the rundown of events and saw Big Hair Barbie and Scabby Barbie on the itinerary. I was so afraid that I would get Big Hair Barbie. Fortunately, Rugby Joe's (that's just one of his nicknames) hair has been consistently bad over the year--I've had just a few weeks of really bad hair.

Anyway, the evening was really great. Ben, a player's partner, created a 30-minute video of our trip to Bingham. It's excellent. I had to watch it again this weekend because I wanted to relive the memories. :-)

The only downside to the evening was there was no air conditioning in our room. It was REALLY hot. I felt bad for Phill and John because they worked their asses off to create a special evening for us guys. It was still special, just a bit uncomfortable.

BIG NEWS!
Last night was bowling. We played an evenly matched team. Unfortunately, once again, they bowled, on average, 20 pins above their average. We bowled our average or worse. So we lost the first game by 100+ and the second game by 20.

But on the third game we ALL had monster games. I bowled the best game of my life. I bowled a 243. It was so awesome. I was in the zone. I love that feeling. Unfortunately, it's so hard to recreate.

By the time I hit my fifth strike, what little players remaining from the other teams bowling started to watch (we're ALWAYS the last one's out). It was fun to experience. I'm bummed I left that open frame, but happy nonetheless. We won the third game. :-)

I was so excited when I left. So I sent a text message to Joe. He congratulated me but reamed my ass for bowling with my bad back (my back has gone out again and it hurts like hell--bowling isn't the smartest thing to do right now). GRRR!

Then I told Kevin when I got home. His response, "Is that good?" GRRR!

So I tried to blog about it and blogger was down. GRRR!

I just wanted to bask in my moment of glory.

HAPPY TUNESDAY MOTHERFUCKERS!

Since my back has gone out I'm relying on Aleve to help me get through the day. Today's song goes out to Jeffy for giving me a fix of Aleve last night. And sometimes he really does look ten feet tall. Just remember what the dormouse said.

Song
Lyrics

5 Comments:

  • YOU DO CARE!!!

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Tue Jun 27, 10:40:00 AM MST  

  • Just remember, one pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small (and sort of loopy for an hour or two).

    : )

    And aren't you glad I got that printout?

    By Blogger potusol, At Tue Jun 27, 11:30:00 AM MST  

  • I love me, some, Jefferson Airplane! Congrads on the scab barbie award and the 243 game.....that's awesome......Hope your back is better.....good lord the both of ya (u and Joey)....are like the walking wounded! LOL

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Tue Jun 27, 12:14:00 PM MST  

  • ...! Your back is out? Again? OUCH!!! Well at least we know it isn't always rugby that does it! LOL! Yoga is in the mix this summer right?

    Congrats on the 243 Game too! That is GREAT!!!! I love that zone feeling too!

    Peace!

    Phill (aka 'coach' the other time of the year!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Jun 28, 07:20:00 AM MST  

  • 243! Impressive!!! My highest is 222. I even got announced on the PA. I haven't seen anything that high since!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Jun 28, 12:15:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home