Diary of a Sane Man

Thursday, November 17, 2005

What's the time?


rent
Originally uploaded by veryapeaz.
Well it's gotta be close to midnight
My body's talking to me
It says, "Time for danger"
It says "I wanna commit a crime
Wanna be the cause of a fight
Wanna put on a tight skirt and flirt
With a stranger"
I've had a knack from way back
At breaking the rules once I learn the games
Get up - life's too quick
I know someplace sick
Where this chick'll dance in the flames


OK. I promised a review but I'm fucking tired. It's past midnight and I've got a 12+ hour day tomorrow that starts shortly.

I'll just say that RENT rocked! I was very happy with it. In fact, it turned out better than I thought.

To give an idea of how good it was, listen to this... I don't cry often. I usually cry every other year or so. The last time I cried was when Kevin and I broke up close to two years ago (Jan. 2004). Tonight tears were streaming down my face for a good twenty minutes or so... NONSTOP!

It was funny too (at the right places). Too amazing!

I stopped comparing it to the stage production about 10 minutes in. It stands on its own.

Jesse L. Martin is such an amazing actor/singer--heads and shoulders above the rest. I love him in this and not just cuz he smokes a lot of weed. Overall, everybody was excellent.

OK. Time for bed. I'll post a full review tomorrow night.

6 Comments:

  • TEARS = PASSION

    passion = happiness

    I´m waiting for tonight´s review, handsome!

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Thu Nov 17, 07:28:00 AM MST  

  • Wow Ted, now I'm really excited but a little apprehensive. You know me, if it made *you* cry that much, then I'll be a soggy mess. Oh boy, now I can't wait for this movie to come out!!

    By Blogger AZJay, At Thu Nov 17, 10:18:00 AM MST  

  • Ok, so I am still on a high after seeing the film last night!

    First of all: If you are a huge RENT-head like me, you MUST go into the theater with an open mind and ready to judge the movie on its own merits. There ARE changes, and some that you will not agree with, that's for sure. But ON ITS OWN MERITS, it was a FUCKING FANTASTIC movie!!!

    After getting the soundtrack last month, I was not pleased with Rosario Dawson's voice. I'm still not, but she won me over as Mimi. She was REALLY good. I think Jesse L. Martin was the standout among standouts. He took some risks with Collins — such as being stoned in pretty much every scene — but I thought he was wonderful. Wilson Jermaine Heredia and Idina Menzel were also particularly amazing, although to be honest EVERYONE rocked. (I may start a personal campaign to get Jesse L. Martin an Oscar nod.)

    Some particularly great numbers were "Tango: Maureen", "La Vie Boheme", "Take Me Or Leave Me," and "Without You, which I sobbed throughout. Oh, and Collins' reprise of "I'll Cover You" is still the single-most heart-wrenching moment I've ever experienced in a theater.

    Lots of tears and goose bumps.

    - Buddy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Nov 17, 10:45:00 AM MST  

  • Oh my God! so jealous! I am so glad that you liked it too! I have a free screener to see it on Monday... Here's hoping that I get to (screeners here are usually PACKED)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Nov 17, 12:53:00 PM MST  

  • nice!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Nov 17, 01:04:00 PM MST  

  • My only exposure to "Rent" was the touring production that came through Phoenix last year..although I enjoyed the concept, the story, not to mention the music..I was not impressed with the cast at all therefore I never really felt the passion for the play that others have..A great cast makes all the difference in the world.I will definitely have to check the film out..Glad you enjoyed it..A good cry is needed once in a while.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Nov 17, 01:11:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home