Diary of a Sane Man

Sunday, November 06, 2005

No Day But Today


Silver Cup Posted by Picasa

What a weekend! I feel like that's my new catchphrase. It certainly was a weekend of extreme HIGHS and LOWS.

Friday night, Mr. X and I went out (as friends). We had gone to lunch once since he unceremoniously dumped me and had a good time. So, we thought it would be fun to do dinner and a little bar hopping.

The first part of the evening was excellent. I laughed MY ASS OFF. I'd forgotten how funny, intelligent and charming he could be. It was shaping up to be a fun evening. We played a little pool--I got lucky and won once, he won twice. We ran into some mutual friends at one bar and had some laughs.

But then he started SLAMMING drinks. Big time. And his mood darkened. Considerably. He made some inappropriate comments -- he used the S word to describe Hispanics and told an acquaintance of mine that he looked like BJORK. Umm. That's just not right. So, I had to have a little discussion with Mr. X after we left -- he didn't like it but I don't care.

I ended up calling it an early night because I was tired and I didn't want to see where Mr. X was going to take his dark mood. Fortunately, Buddy was at the last bar we hit and agreed to take him home. I felt bad for Buddy (especially after he text messaged me with the word ASSHOLE). So I texted back that I would buy Buddy's ticket to Rent and would get him a date w/ his favorite rugby player.

SATURDAY'S A RUGBY DAY!

Saturday we all met up in North Phoenix to play the Cave Creek Critters. It was a night match. It was fun to play under the lights--there's a different feel to the whole game. Of course, this means that I had all day to think about the game. I didn't like that -- it's too stressful. I'd rather just do it first thing in the day so I don't have time to dwell over anything.

Anyway, I wrapped up my toe with moleskin and lamb's wool. I think it survived pretty well considering I couldn't walk in shoes just a few days prior. Yes, my foot looks ugly -- I need to put some moisturizer on it.

My biggest concern was my leg. It turns out I tore my adductor muscle. Here's a picture of the bruise. It's not as bad as it was two weeks ago. But it's still pretty ugly.

Anyway, I tried wrapping it with an ace bandage over my compression shorts, but it just wasn't working well. So, I said, "Fuck it," and prayed that it would hold up.

The game went really well. I think (and Coach Phill and spectators confirmed this) that this was our best game yet. We seemed to play with a purpose and executed as well as we ever have. My first ten minutes were great. After that I thought I played like crap and even apologized to the coach after. It just felt like I had no strength in my right leg. I felt like I was running in quicksand.

At the end of the game, I walked over to where Jeffy was standing. To my huge surprise, Steve was standing with him. Steve didn't tell me he was coming up to watch the game, so that was really cool.

We all headed over to the Dubliner for the drinkup. To my utter amazement, Coach Rich got up on stage and named me Man of the Match for our team. Considering that I felt like I had let the team down with my poor play, I was just dumbfounded. I just kind of sat there and then I walked up to the stage. I think I stopped by and hugged Coach Phill and said, "What the fuck?"

So, they game me a pitcher of beer and they gave the Man of the Match for the Critters a pitcher of beer. We're supposed to race each other as the entire bar cheers and chants. Now, I can't drink beer fast. Never could. And this mother fucker standing next to me had downed half his pitcher before the first drop of liquid touched the back of my throat. Since I lost the beer race, the rest of the beer got poured over my head. It was FUCKING FREEZING! And some of the beer managed to get under my compression shorts. So I was sitting in a puddle of beer for a good hour or two until I peeled em off.

In addition to a beer bath, I got to wear Coach Rich's silver cup. The cup must never be empty of beer. And believe me, it wasn't.

It was such a tremendous feeling. I still can't describe what it felt like to be honored in such a way. Let me just say it was one of the greatest moments of my life. :-)

At the drinkup, Jason Adonis called and said he'd meet us at Charlie's. I said, "Great!"

Jeff said, "You realize J.A. and Steve will be in the same room." I was drunk--the more the merrier I thought.

It's interesting to note that nobody calls Jason Adonis by his real name. I'm waiting for the day I slip up and call him that. Hasn't happened.... yet.

I also learned that Jay and the other ruggers call me Ted Homosexual, based on a Will & Grace episode. Nice.

Anyway, after singing some traditional rugby songs, we headed over to Charlie's (Jeff driving, of course). On the drive to Charlie's I managed to get out of my wet compression shorts and slipped on some underwear. AAAH. A dry butt is a happy one.

At Charlie's, I got even more drunk. But I didn't care. I was a very happy camper. I had a lot of my rugger buddies with me, Jeffy and I were laughing, Steve was there, JA was there. It was great.

Until I decided to embarrass the hell out of myself. I asked Jeffy to play interference for me and talk to JA (who was talking to Steve) while I pulled Steve away. So, I got Steve in a corner and did one of those, "I think you're the best thing since sliced bread," types of drunk speeches. After I was done, I told Jeffy we had to go, so we did.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

Steve ended up at Jeff's house a little later in the evening (by now it's like 3am). So there I am, my body reeks of alcohol and sweat (no I hadn't showered yet), my breath is a mixture of Dentyne Ice and 40 types of cheap beer and my knees are bloodied and I'm trying to win Steve over looking/smelling like this?

NOT.

Anyway, we stayed up all night (til 6) talking/kissing.

I think I hit a new low. If memory serves me correctly, I serenaded him by singing Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box. Yes, it was that bad. Especially because midway through my singing, I went into my normal 10 minute diatribe on how much I hate Courtney Love and how she killed Kurt. But at least I can laugh about it tonight.

Steve was sweet enough to sleep with me on the couch--despite my stench. He got up at 8:30 and went home. I got up at 11. Jeff took me to my car and then I came home and worked on my freelance column.

So, my horoscope says next Saturday is going to be a romance day for me. Hopefully, I'll meet someone that I like and I'll get over this Steve thing, cuz it's killing me.

7 Comments:

  • "What the fuck?" indeed! Congrats again and I sure the F hope you took a shower by now...hehe!

    Coach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon Nov 07, 06:41:00 AM MST  

  • I forgot to tell you that my plan for interference was to tell JA "you stay here, DON'T MOVE". He's never really looked me in the eye so I figured I could intimidate him a little. Plus I needed to be mobile, I do have my own interests. : )

    By Blogger potusol, At Mon Nov 07, 07:58:00 AM MST  

  • I seriously love coming here, if for no other reason than your post-title "countdown" to rent. Thank you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon Nov 07, 09:45:00 AM MST  

  • Ok, let me explain to Ted's faithful readers about this Ted Homosexual thing. I had gotten so used to seeing "Ted Homosexual" come up on my caller ID when Ted calls me it just slipped my mind to tell him about it hehehe but I get a chuckle with every call and text message.

    You see, early on, my friend Chris said one day, who'd you go to Charlie's with? Ted? Ted Homosexual? I laughed my ass off. "What was that from?", I asked. Well, I guess in one Will & Grace episode, Karen was in Jack's apartment drinking martinis and popping pills as per usual and someone called and left a message for Jack. He said in a very queer lispy voice that Jack had indeed not made the audition or whatever. So when Jack got home, Karen told him that soneone called about the audition thing. Jack asked excitedly, "Who, who called?"
    "Ted.", Karen replied
    "Ted? Ted who Ted WHO!!??"
    "Oh I don't know....Ted.....ummm... Ted Homosexual".

    Congrats on the Man of the Match Ted! WAY TO GO!!

    Your candor on the night at Jeff's after Charlie's is awesome. But a seranade and you went off on Courtney?? Props to Steve for sticking that out LOL.

    Just kidding, I love you anyway. :)

    By Blogger AZJay, At Mon Nov 07, 12:19:00 PM MST  

  • Sounds like a real kickass weekend!
    And for the record Bjork is beautiful in my book, If I was a girl and someone said that I'd be flattered. (Course she is one of my favorite artists) Sorry to hear about how nasty he got, I've seen that happen to a few of my friends. In my opinion its a part of that person coming out because of the whole "less inhibitions" false sense of security alcohol brings on.

    haha you serenaded Steve to Heart Shaped Box? Where have you been all my life man!!! :)

    By Blogger The Persian, At Mon Nov 07, 12:33:00 PM MST  

  • Coach... found the soap after all. funny, i also found my dignity too. it got lost on the way.

    POTUSOL... you're a good, yet slightly self-serving wing man. ;-)

    Duane.... less than TWO WEEKS!!!

    Jaymon--do I at least get the Alice in Chains ringtone to counterbalance it?

    Persian guy.... the problem was he said it to a GUY. I would not want someone to tell me I looked like Bjork (even though she is pretty). :-)

    By Blogger VeryApeAZ, At Mon Nov 07, 01:01:00 PM MST  

  • I remember that W&G episode. I'm also reminded of a Friends episode in which Phoebe or Rachel (I don't remember which) wants to convince Ross that she is tight with his ex, Carol. When he asks her what Carol's last name is, she says "Carol ... Lesbian."

    By the way, did you really serenade him with Nirvana? That's a classic.

    - Buddy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon Nov 07, 05:16:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home