Diary of a Sane Man

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Au Revoir Cyrille, Bonjour Douleur


aurevoirbonjour Posted by Picasa

Saturday morning Jay-mon came over to my house at 9:30am. We headed over to Einstein's, got some bagels and met up with Hsin and Chris (fellow Storm mates). We loaded up Hsin's rented Ford Explorer and hit the road to Tucson for our match against the Magpies.

Poor Jay was in insane pain most of the way down south. Everybody throw good positive thoughts his way. He needs to remedy this ruptured disk situation fast, because he's always in pain--even after popping pills.

We got to the pitch at 12:30 and started warming up. Even though it was my first time playing against someone other than teammates in a scrimmage situation, I wasn't nervous at all. I felt really focused on the job at hand.

We played a "friendly match." Instead of two 40 minute halves, we played four 20 minute quarters. And we were allowed unlimited substitutions (in a regular match you only get 7). Since I've never played before I didn't get to start. This actually worked in my favor because I got to see what play was like in real life. Up until now, I have to watch the pros play on Monday nights on Fox Soccer World and that's just not how we're going to play (although our coach wishes we did).

So, we were supposed to play against the Magpies B or C team. Our team has only been in existence for a year. Most of the guys have only played in 3 or 4 matches at most. Our experience and skill level, just isn't there. Therefore, it's essential we play similar teams. Well, the Magpies, decided that they would just play their best players instead.

Our first quarter was a mess. They scored at will. I felt bad for our guys because they looked a bit frustrated.

In the second quarter, I got to play fullback. Basically, this is a defensive position. Mainly because we only have one set offensive play that involves the fullback. For the most part, I roam the back and tackle anyone that breaks through the pack. This also means that if they get to me, they've built up a lot of speed because they've been running a good 10/20 meters. Even though the guys were much bigger, I wasn't afraid to throw myself at them. Our coaches have done a good job at teaching us the proper way to tackle--go for the waist, grab, turn and fall down. It really worked!

But not always. I have to look at their hips and not their eyes--I got juked out three times when I played wing--but that's another story.

Kim told Jeff that the Magpies play dirty. I learned that the hard way. I got pummeled AFTER THE BALL WAS DEAD! The ref blew the whistle to signal stop in play. I trotted over to the ball, picked it up and started jogging to the center of the pitch to give it to the ref. Some jackass came flying out of nowhere and laid me out. I'm talking I flew off the ground and landed 5 feet from where I was standing. My head connected pretty hard on the ground and I was dazed for a sec. But I shook it off, cussed under my breath and kept on going.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters were much better. They still scored but not often. And our play improved. The forwards were doing a hell of job with the rucks. In the 3rd and 4th quarters I ended up playing wing, due to various injuries to guys. I didn't like it much. But as long as I get to play I don't care.

During one of scuffles, I got a black eye. It's just starting to shine a bit. I'm proud to have it. :-)

I woke up this morning and I could barely move. Everything hurts. Every single muscle in my body aches--especially my abs. Motrin is my friend right now.

I keep replaying all of my mistakes in my head. I can't wait to play in Tempe. It'll give me a chance to redeem myself (I hope). Although I'm beat up, I love this fucking game so much. It's a blast!!!!

So, Hsin and I drove back to Phx after an hour at the drinkup. Hsin had dinner plans and I had to see Cyrille for the last time before he flew back to Vancouver Sunday morning.

We met at Amsterdam. Once again, it was a great time. Despite being very tired and sore, I laughed a lot and enjoyed the company of a lot of friends that I don't see very often. It was difficult to say goodbye to Cyrille. At one point when he was talking to me about how much he enjoyed our time together, I thought he was going to cry. Which made me get all mushy and sad. It was a long and sad goodbye. :-(

Today, I woke up after only 6 hours of sleep. I cleaned, watched Alien vs. Predator and then met Jeff at the movies. We saw the remake of The Fog. It bit the big one. It was as bad as Into the Blue. Ugh. I'm 0 for 2 with movies this week.

Then we headed over to the 5 and Diner. We ate burgers and talked. It was nice to hang one on one for a change. We're always in group settings, so it's good to have a little alone time.

That's it. Hope everyone had good weekends!

5 Comments:

  • and I wanted to see the Fog also. Thanks for the heads up..Nice shiner :)

    By Blogger The Persian, At Mon Oct 17, 07:01:00 AM MST  

  • I think that you guys did great! What great expericence! Those dirty bastard magpies! I have to say you will enjoy playing Tempe, tons of eye candy ;), but man they are tough! I wish I was in AZ so that we could come cheer you on!

    By Blogger Chengdus & Don'ts, At Mon Oct 17, 07:08:00 AM MST  

  • I know ull hate me for this but... i just cant believe u r so keen on this hedious sport.
    everytime i heard u had a new game injure i want to ride my cane all the way to phoenix to kick your ass!!!

    btw, Jeff is a liar, he always has the big talk about how good cooker he is and now i know you were eating burguers???

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Tue Oct 18, 06:58:00 AM MST  

  • Kim--it would've been cool if you were there. Then you could have acted as a spy and given us a head's up on their called plays.

    Ian--I'll keep playing until you DO ride that cane up here. ;-)
    Oh, and we went to the 5 and Diner--Jeffie got the night off from cooking.

    By Blogger VeryApeAZ, At Tue Oct 18, 01:21:00 PM MST  

  • You did great Ted! It's a lot different watching the game from the sidelines, you see a different perspective. I never saw that late hit, what an a-hole!@()*&($#. Oh well, such is rugby.

    It was really nice meeting Cyrill. What a nice fellow.

    Glad you had a great time in Tucson.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Tue Oct 18, 04:21:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home