Diary of a Sane Man

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

La Vie Boheme


Rent Posted by Picasa

Can I tell you just how psyched I am about Rent the movie? I can't. Words alone will not come close to how excited I am to see this movie. I haven't been this excited for a movie since The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Jay may be a geek, but I'm a Rent geek.

Now, I'm not a true Rent head. I haven't seen the show over 50 times (I've only seen it five times) and I couldn't tell you the cast differences between the Angel touring company and the Benny touring company (but my friend Bryan could). But I did get to see it on Broadway with most of the original cast intact and I stood outside the doors after the show and got everyone's autographs.

A lot of people don't like the show. I mentioned it to Jeff and he practically threw up at the mention of it.

But to me, it's just amazing.

Why?

In my opinion (I could be wrong on this one), it's the first Gen X'er musical ever written. I mean except for Jesus Christ Superstar most musicals are written with blue haired ladies in mind. They've got soaring melodies and beautiful arias. Even Tommy, a rock musical by The Who, sounded like elevator music when it hit the Broadway stage.

But Rent had guitars and drums and a keyboardist and that's about it. It managed to have awesome melodies but with a kick to them.

Not only was the music more intense than the typical Broadway fare, the content was really racy for its day (it opened on Broadway in 1996). The lead characters had HIV/AIDS, were prostitutes, had sex, were gay, abused drugs and generally weren't the nicest people in the world. But they were written in such a way that you really cared about them.

Although I'm not big on romantic story lines (they're so damned cheesy), I love the relationships portrayed in Rent. One of my favorite songs is sung by Angel (a drag queen) and Collins (a college professor). It's called I'll Cover You. Although the lyrics read sappy, they're really sweet when sung:

Live in my house
I'll be your shelter
Just pay me back
With one thousand kisses
Be my lover -- I'll cover you

I took Kevin to see it once. The week after we saw it, he had 1,000 Hershey Kisses delivered to my office. How fucking awesome is that?

The movie comes out the day before Thanksgiving. I might be sick that day (just kidding Buddy). I hope they don't screw it up. I'm happy that they brought back the entire original cast (well everyone but Mimi and Joanne). The movie soundtrack is much harder--guitars and drums have been kicked up a notch, but they cut some songs and altered others. It better work damnit!!!

Here's the Original Broadway Cast singing the opening song, Rent.

12 Comments:

  • Um, I did not practically throw up. I distinctly remember making a slight gagging sound and rolling my eyes. It sounds a lot sexier than it really was.

    By Blogger potusol, At Wed Oct 26, 12:37:00 AM MST  

  • Ok it's on my official "to see" list. Sounds really good.

    :)

    By Blogger The Persian, At Wed Oct 26, 04:02:00 AM MST  

  • I don't have anything nice to say about this show (I've seen it twice -- see, I even gave it a second chance), so I'm just going to sit here quietly.

    By Blogger PJS, At Wed Oct 26, 05:49:00 AM MST  

  • I am pretty psyched about this movie too... I am hoping that it is as good as the show!!! I love RENT.

    Funny thing... when you said, "it's the first Gen X'er musical ever written.", ironically, it is based off of a terribly old opera (La Boheme)!! And it still works!

    I can't wait!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Oct 26, 06:37:00 AM MST  

  • I'm kind of excited about this too. My friend Andy said this play was the catalyst to him coming out and the overall effect it had on his life. I've heard you talk about it all the time and after reading the booklet in the soundtrack you lent me (thanks), I'm looking forward to the movie and want to see a version of the show if it comes around again.

    Funny about the La Boheme angle. A friend of mine wanted to take me to an opera (never seen one) and the opera he wants to take me too is La Boheme. Maybe after seeing the movie Rent, I'll understand it better!

    By Blogger AZJay, At Wed Oct 26, 08:32:00 AM MST  

  • I'll have to agree with the committee (Jeff and Parley) on this one. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

    Carlos

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Oct 26, 08:52:00 AM MST  

  • Fuck it! We'll both call in sick that day. I've seen it onstage 9 times, and I reject anyone who tries to run it down. (I apprecaite Jeff, Parley and Carlos for just keeping quite and letting people like me, Ted and Richard have this.)

    I'll probably sit in a movie theater and watch it two or three times consecutively.
    - Buddy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Oct 26, 11:57:00 AM MST  

  • When are you going to see it for reals: Friday day or night? I have the day off. I want to come too.

    "I'll cover you" is my favorite! I love the reprise how it changes the mood but with the same lyrics.

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Wed Oct 26, 02:31:00 PM MST  

  • Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
    Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred moments so dear
    Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
    How do you measure -- measure a year?
    In daylights -- In sunsets
    In midnights -- In cups of coffee
    In inches -- In miles
    In laughter -- In strife
    In -- Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
    How do you measure a year in the life?
    How about love?
    How about love?
    How about love?
    Measure in love
    Seasons of love
    Seasons of love

    Enjoy Ted...!!! Coach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Oct 26, 02:41:00 PM MST  

  • I've never seen it, so I guess I'll rent it...would rather see it when/if it comes back to Minneapolis.

    By Blogger Kiddo78, At Wed Oct 26, 05:38:00 PM MST  

  • sweety, I am in shock.
    I played Roger in the Argentinian cast. it was one of the most awesome experiences i ever been trough
    I´m glad and happy to know that youlove this musical as much as i do.

    i heart u, Ted

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Thu Oct 27, 08:08:00 AM MST  

  • I love this show. LOVE IT.
    And yes- We can all go watch it together. I will have to see it more than once even if I hate it (I wont), just to soak up all of it. I also make it my business to see musicals, just to help do my part to support the art form.

    I loved Chicago and paid to see it like 5 times. I expect no less from RENT.

    By Blogger From My Lips to Your Ears, At Fri Oct 28, 01:36:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home