Diary of a Sane Man

Sunday, June 05, 2005

He's the one we call Dr. Feelgood...

I have a doctor who seems to forget about the boundaries between a doctor and a patient.

Let me start from the beginning. For the past 7 years, I have not had a regular doctor. If I was sick, I would just go to Urgent Care. I always think it's ridiculous to wait two weeks to see a doctor, when I'm sick today. So, I looked at Echo and found a doctor in my plan.

The first time I saw him, I had messed up my foot. He treated me and then at the end of the examination, he hugged me. I thought this was odd, because I've never been hugged by a doctor before. The next day he called me to see how I was doing. I thanked him for seeing me so quickly. He said and I quote, "I love seeing you." End of statement. That was weird.

A month later, I went for a physical. After determining that I had no communicable diseases, he asked me out for coffee. I figured, that was my last visit.

Fast forward four months. I switched jobs and only had temporary health insurance. So my allergy meds slowly depleted. By the time my new plan kicked in, I was out of meds and needed a quick fix.

So I went back because I knew I'd be seen immediately. In the examination room, I was reading a book on men's self-image for a story I'm writing. He asked why I was reading that book. I told him it was for a story on achieving the perfect body. He said, "Why? You already have the perfect body."

Ummm.. creepy.

Then when I told him I hadn't had meds for over a week, he asked why I didn't come in sooner. I told him I wouldn't have been able to afford it. He said, "You're special. You never have to worry about that." Then he proceeded to give me three months of stuff! SCORE!!!

So... that was my last visit. I'm going to switch doctors -- although I got free stuff, it's just not worth it.

6 Comments:

  • My old doctor was someone I knew socially through a friend. I had known him and his partner for years before I started seeing him as a doctor. I didn't have insurance at the time and he was great about getting me in and making sure I got cheap presciptions or samples.

    BUT, it didn't matter what I went in for (sore throat, stubbed toe, whatever) he always wanted to give me a prostate exam, ALWAYS. After the second time (which he justified because of my family medical history) I said absolutely not and then switched doctors. It made me angry that someone I was going to for help would use their authority to basically violate me for their own pleasure.

    By Blogger potusol, At Mon Jun 06, 08:13:00 AM MST  

  • Jeez, neither of you even mentions if these doctors were CUTE. I realize boundaries were still crossed, but...

    By Blogger PJS, At Mon Jun 06, 09:27:00 AM MST  

  • If he was cute, I would have already moved in with him. Or at the very least, had sex on the examination table.

    By Blogger VeryApeAZ, At Mon Jun 06, 01:48:00 PM MST  

  • Not enough free drugs in the world.

    By Blogger potusol, At Mon Jun 06, 03:02:00 PM MST  

  • Sounds like a nightmare! Wasn't the nurse in the room? Anytime women go in for gyno stuff there is always a nurse in the room so we don't feel violated.

    By Blogger JanetsJourney.com, At Tue Jun 07, 05:13:00 AM MST  

  • is this the doctor who is in central phoenix around thomas and central?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Jun 07, 10:24:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home