Diary of a Sane Man

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Cult of celebrity


Neil
Originally uploaded by veryapeaz.
While I was bowling with Jeff on Monday, my buddy Neil called me to let me know he got tickets to game two of the Western Conference Finals between the Suns and the Spurs. Now, I've been a Suns fan since 92-93, that was the year Barkley took them to the finals (I loved to watch Barkley play).

I've been a faithful fan ever since. When I was stationed in Germany, I used to get up at 3am, watch the playoffs and then go to PT (physical training). I chose ASU over U Conn. because of the Suns. After I graduated from ASU and moved back to Baltimore, I bought DirecTV, so I could watch the games. I couldn't afford anything practical (like a car) but I got to watch my Suns.

So, going to America West Arena to watch them play was a big deal.

Neil is not just my friend, he's the former mayor of Tempe--home of ASU. This means that everyone knows him. If they don't know him, they walk up and say hi.

This always strikes me as strange.

For example, last Saturday we went to the movies with Jeff and Parley. It turns out that Parley dated Neil's brother. An online chat friend, Andrew, also came--the first thing Andrew said after being introduced to Neil was, "I love your house. I saw it in the Republic."

That's really an odd statement. And it's a weird situation. People you don't know have seen your stuff. They know that your coffee pot is a Braun (that's a guess) and that you have a urinal in your bathroom (he does).

It's bad enough in the general public, but it's 100 times worse when attending a gay event. Neil and I went to the Rainbows Festival last year. It's like a little gay pride festival. We were stopped at least every 50 feet by people who knew him or didn't but wanted to shake his hand anyway. And everybody wants their picture taken with him. I always feel like the guy who has to walk around with Mickey Mouse at Disneyland.

I'm sure this makes it difficult to date people. Are people attracted to you because of this semi-celebrityhood? Are they repelled by it? Dating is hard enough without dealing with that kind of shit.

OK. I'm going to end this because there's no real focus. But I wanted to get my observations down on (virtual) paper.

Thanks Neil for taking me to my first playoff basketball game!!!!

4 Comments:

  • It's a tough existence, but you get used to it eventually. I, for instance, can't walk ten feet in this town without being assaulted by paparazzi and autograph-hounds, but these are the sacrifices we make for our 'public'.

    Charges are still pending from that unfortunate photographer-punching incident last November.

    By the way, it was great meeting you and your entourage last weekend. You seem like a bully little chap. Do stop in and say hello if you ever find your way to New York!

    -P

    By Blogger PJS, At Thu May 26, 07:15:00 AM MST  

  • Great entry. I was Neil's aide during his last term (7/99-8-03. I was able to see first hand what you described. Many politicians sacrifice a personal life for the sake of the job. Neil was always willing to lend a hand.

    He definitely made his mark in Tempe, ASU and the state. I for one hope re-renters the political scene. Thanks for this opportunity to add my "two cents".

    CAP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu May 26, 09:48:00 AM MST  

  • Why do you think I had to move from Houston? I even had to change my name. Someday I'll tell you the real one.

    And just FYI P is not as annoying as Richard says except when he's singing the Dukes of Hazzard theme song over and over and OVER.

    By Blogger potusol, At Thu May 26, 11:25:00 AM MST  

  • Makin' their waaaaaaaay...
    The only way they know how...
    And that's just a little bit more
    Than the law will allow

    By Blogger PJS, At Thu May 26, 03:29:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home