Diary of a Sane Man

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Zoom Zoom Zoom


Scion Xa
Originally uploaded by veryapeaz.
Last week, I took my car in to get the oil changed, to fix a pesky power steering fluid leak and to fix my windshield wiper fluid motor (it's burned out). I took it to the auto shop that advertises in Echo. I figure that their advertising helps pay my salary. So I'm really just giving the money back to myself.

The friendly mechanic called me back after about 2 hours. Apparently, the pesky power steering leak is quite severe and it would cost about 2K to fix.

So..... knowing that my little Prizm has about 150K miles on it and I would need new brakes soon and other stuff, I figured it's time to buy a new car.

For the past five days, I have done nothing but research, research, research. I've test driven a Scion Xb, Mazda 3, (both 4 and 5-door--although I don't understand how a hatchback is a door... do they really expect people to open it up and climb into the back of the car that way?), Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Elantra.

I want to test drive the Scion Xa but the two dealers I went to only had automatics.

I can't wait until this ordeal is over. It's taken over my life. All I do is read different reviews, crunch a bunch of numbers, memorize the price differences of different option packages and try to get some sleep in the process.

All of the sales people are afraid of me when I walk in. I tell them exactly what I want to look at and then I go into my spiel, "I'm not looking to buy today but at the end of the month--you'll have more incentive to sell me the car I want at or below factory invoice. Don't ask me about trade ins or financing--we'll discuss the price first and then we'll go from there. Also, don't try to offer options that I don't ask for."

After I do that... the sales people act a lot less slimey and more like real people.

Currently, I really like the Scion Xa... it's weird and funky... but it's got one of those no-haggle prices like a Saturn. I hate that. I love the Mazda3 but I can't afford the one that I want. So I may end up going used.

I was really disappointed with the Hyundai Elantra. I read so many glowing reviews that I knew it was the car for me. Unfortunately, none of those glowing reviews were done by people who actually DROVE the car. There is absolutely no pickup. How can I merge onto the highway if it takes me 30 seconds to go from 0-60? Also, the interior wasn't as nice as it was made out to be. How sad. :-(

I still want to check out the Ford Focus, but I think I'll end up with a Scion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home