Diary of a Sane Man

Friday, August 11, 2006

Boringly Normal


Two weeks ago I had a physical. I'm disgustingly healthy. My bad cholesterol is low and my good cholesterol is normal. My blood pressure is good. My sugar level, kidney and liver functions and everything is perfect.

But my EKG showed something funky -- a premature heart beat. So, I had to see a cardiologist. Fortunately, my friend Jilane is a PA for Biltmore Cardiology -- a really nice and fancy schmancy practice.

This morning I went over there for various poking and prodding.

First, a woman SANDPAPERED parts of my chest. It really was a strip of sandpaper that she gleefully ripped across my body.

Then she hooked up some electrodes and had me walk on a treadmill. Every so often, the computer reading the info from the electrodes would spit out some graphs. After about 15 minutes of this (at this point I was sprinting up a mountainous incline), I asked when the damned test would end. The lady with the sandpaper said not until I couldn't go anymore or until I hit 100% of my maximum heart rate.

I didn't want to look like a wimp so I waited it out until I hit 100%.

After that I went to another room. There a different lady smeared jelly on my chest (that felt much better than sandpaper) and performed an ultrasound on my heart. It was really cool. Sometimes I would have to exhale and hold it because my lung kept getting in the way. Other times she would hit a button and the black and white image would explode in vibrant color.

Finally, I got to see Jilane. She said I was boringly healthy. Occasionally my heart will beat prematurely. But it does it infrequently and at random and it's nothing to be concerned about.

The only bad thing is I've gotten fat. I've gained 11 pounds since Bingham (which is good). But I haven't worked out (except tennis and bowling -- and bowling is mostly beer drinking), so it's all hung around my waist. I'm looking forward to burning it off soon and turning it into a little bit of muscle.

In other news... I have to comment on the new airport regulations. I think it's all a sham. If it was such a wicked plot, why didn't George Bush cut short his vacation (since he knew about it for days)? I find it highly suspicious that the activity was planned in England (Tony Blair = George Bush lapdop) and targeted America. I think Blair and Bush concocted this whole thing. And I find it sickening that Cheney used the terrorist's plot as a way to warn voters not to vote for Democrats. I'm not the only one who thinks this either -- read this.

9 Comments:

  • I can't read crap like that and enjoy living in this country.

    You look VERY VERY good. I don't see any fat anywhere. I see a chubbie everyonce in a while =-)

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Fri Aug 11, 03:51:00 PM MST  

  • Glad your health is good! I am outta the loop....on purpose....on all this crap. I'm completely overloaded with it all....If people around me were less complacent than I....then maybe I'd be more motivated to take action.....But it gets old feeling like I'm the only who gives a shit! I know I'm not....but it seems that people only give a shit for a lil while....and then it returns to life....as it was before the latest drama.....So I've given Up!!!!

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Fri Aug 11, 05:28:00 PM MST  

  • You lucked out! The PA that sandpapered me went after me with a razor and didn't use shaving cream or anything even remotely damp. I came away from that test all patchy looking like the guy from The 40 Year Old Virgin.

    By Blogger AveBeno, At Sat Aug 12, 02:37:00 AM MST  

  • Once I had to get an ultrasound on my heart, and I was so upset about it because I thought the first time I would be feeling the jelly-stuff was when I was pregnant.

    OK...kind of sounds like a pointless comment, but it really left an impression on me. I'm hyper-sensitive, you know.

    By Blogger Jen, At Sat Aug 12, 08:39:00 AM MST  

  • OMG....that came out all wrong and dramatic LOL.....I was referencing the political shit.....that I'm tired of people only caring for a lil bit....then it's back to life as it was before. Sorry bud.....sheesh.....that was a strange and weird message I left. I have been under a lot of stress.....and need to be cautious how I present myself!!!!!

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Sat Aug 12, 01:30:00 PM MST  

  • I'm with actions and consequences, you do look nice, good!?

    Why do you live so far away from me?!

    lol

    Liked your post!?

    As for you and "action", ready for a 3some!?

    By Blogger Jack, At Sun Aug 13, 09:37:00 PM MST  

  • Too bad we couldn't switch bodies for a little while so that I could feel what healthy feels like :p (Of course I might try to trick Joey into thinking I was still you).

    The airport thing seems pretty lame... couldn't they have come up with something better than a Sierra Mist commercial?

    By Blogger Robguy, At Mon Aug 14, 12:05:00 AM MST  

  • Yawn. Another serially trim, fit, muscular person whining about "gaining weight".

    When you mentioned a premature heartbeat and an ultra sound I got all excited because I tbought you were going to say you were pregnant!!! Oh well, maybe next month.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Tue Aug 15, 01:19:00 AM MST  

  • don't u hate when you pass 30 and every bit of weight you gain goes straight to your midsection?

    By Blogger The Persian, At Wed Aug 16, 03:48:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home