Diary of a Sane Man

Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Stanislaus Day!


stanislaus
Originally uploaded by veryapeaz.
I'm sick of hearing about St. Patrick's Day. I have a deep-rooted dislike for this holiday.

When I went to elementary school (St. Joseph's) all of the kids with Irish descent were treated better. Our principal St. Anne O'Donnell LOVED the Irish kids -- if there was an O apostrophe in your last name, you were golden.

I wasn't Irish. I was Polish. Sister Anne didn't give a damn about Polish kids. Every assembly we had there were ALWAYS at least 10 girls doing the jig. There were NEVER any polkas.

When Sister Anne would come in and talk to the classes, she always PRAISED the Irish kids and always talked about Irish culture. Italians, Brits, Germans, and least of all Poles were considered as desirable as the Baptists.

So, even though St. Stanislaus Day is April 11, I'm celebrating it today. I had kielbasa for lunch. For dinner, I'm feasting on Hamburger Mary's but I'll be sure to add sauerkraut. If I'm lucky, I'll find me a Pole for dessert.

10 Comments:

  • Teddy..I'm a quarter Irish (eighth English and Portuguese too). I suppose though, with the added gigantic Polish injection... I'm more now!

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Fri Mar 17, 02:51:00 PM MST  

  • Shame on them for playing favorites. I'm an equal opportunity partier - any and every excuse. Celebrate St. Stanislaus today AND April 11th. I bet Sloppy Joey's make an excellent addition to a party.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Mar 17, 07:06:00 PM MST  

  • I loathe st pat's also....and I ain't Irish either.....didn't know u guys had Hamburger Mary's in Phoenix....used to love going there when I lived in Seattle. I knew they had em in Honolulu and along the west coast....but didn't know they had it in phoenix....happy early Polish day LOL

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Fri Mar 17, 07:52:00 PM MST  

  • Again, same experience, Ted. My nuns (Sisters of Charity of Halifax--who weren't actually charitable at all) had no use for Italian Catholics--felt they were too lax, too soft and not masochistic enough.

    Well the word masochistic wasn't used, of course, as they probably didn't know it. They felt Italians weren't self-denying and strict on rules enough. They approved of German Catholics, though (the Holocaust thing, I have no doubt). Oh, I shouldn't get started!

    Thanks for visiting DesignerBlog. It was nice to find your comment this morning.

    By Blogger Will, At Sat Mar 18, 04:12:00 AM MST  

  • ...is Pole 'dancing' allowed before a game I wonder? hmmmmm....

    coach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sat Mar 18, 07:20:00 AM MST  

  • What about Pulaski Day on March 4?

    By Blogger Guido Begal, At Mon Mar 20, 10:40:00 AM MST  

  • "added gigantic Polish injection..."? Ugh, I read that waaaay too early in the morning this morning. Happy St. Pole day, hehehehe.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Mon Mar 20, 12:19:00 PM MST  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Mon Mar 20, 12:21:00 PM MST  

  • Bad nuns!! There's a huge cathedral in my college town called St. Stanislaus. Tons of Polish Catholics there, so you would have liked going to school there a lot better, I bet!

    By Blogger Kiddo78, At Mon Mar 20, 12:59:00 PM MST  

  • did you find that pole for dessert?
    if not, i am curious.

    By Blogger jay lassiter, At Sun Apr 09, 06:59:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home