Diary of a Sane Man

Friday, February 17, 2006

Housekeeping

I've been away for a week and a half on a meth binge. No, I'm not doing crystal meth. I've just spent the past two weeks talking to health officials, users, dealers and the like for a special feature on crystal meth and the gay community.

It's been a dark two weeks.

For the weeks leading up to the feature my editor and I have been arguing over the severity of crystal meth. I think it's been overplayed by the media. Buddy said no.

I was wrong.

It's amazing what people will do on this drug. I've always had a fairly liberal and libertarian view on drugs. But unlike pot or coke or even liquor, people who do meth can't walk away. That's not true. Very few people can walk away.

For the most part, however, people who just experimented once with meth find themselves turned into junkies within a year's time. And these aren't necessarily lower income people with little education. These are boardroom excecutives and lawyers and other well-educated folks.

What's worse is the aftermath. IF users were able to come clean, they found themselves: infected with HIV, STDs, homeless, penniless, having no teeth and sometimes having minds so fucked up that they will never go back to normal. Plus, they struggle EVERYDAY with not doing the drug YEARS after their last bump of crystal.

It affects the gay community a lot because the drug is highly sexual in nature. And gay men love their sex. They're men after all. And since American society loves to tell gay men how evil and despicable they are, it's easy for gay men to become despondent. Often gay men have issues with sexuality because they hear nothing but negativity. So it's easy to turn to drugs to make them feel comfortable doing something that is natural to them--having sex.

Anyway. I wrote about 4,000 words on the subject and feel like it's a cursory look at best. I wish I could have had an additional 4,000 words to write on the subject and a little more time to research it. But I also had four other stories to write, so I can't complain too much. I have to thank Buddy a lot for clearing out more space in the magazine than originally planned. And Erin did a beautiful job laying it out. I'm glad the whole affair is over. I do not want to have to talk or think about meth for awhile. The article comes out next Thursday, so be sure to check it out online next week.

BUT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY INCREDIBLE VALENTINE'S DAY

I went over to Joe's house after work and felt like a scrub. He greeted me in a suit and tie and looked incredibly sexy and hot. So, I jumped in the shower to clean up. When I got out of the shower, I could smell something really good cooking. As I was shaving, Joe ran into his bedroom and turned on the radio -- Pearl Jam was playing. And it wasn't something you'd hear on the radio like Jeremy or Evenflow, it was Hard to Imagine. A really pretty slow song.

After shaving I went into the kitchen to see assorted pots steaming up some great seafood. Crab legs, shrimp and lobster tail. YUM! So I drank a beer and watched him cook. As this was going on, more Pearl Jam was coming out of the radio. And it was all really good slow songs -- spanning the last ten years. I was amazed and touched.

We had a nice dinner and talked about his day (he had an interview). Then he jumped in the shower and put on his PJs. Then we exchanged some presents. He got me a Pearl Jam DVD and this kick ass Phoenix Suns sweatshirt. I gave him a mix CD that took me DAYS to make. I couldn't get the right flow and I kept adding and subtracting songs. I've decided I'm not very good at it. Then I got him some Starbucks beans and a coffee bean grinder -- because he's addicted to Starbucks. And I gave him some pictures and a frame to put them in.

Then to cap off his themed evening (the theme was "An Ode to Things Ted Likes"), he bought the DVD for The Long Kiss Goodnight--one of my all-time favorite movies--and we watched that. Gena Davis just kicks ass and the writing is really crisp.

So, it was just a wonderful wonderful evening.

I wish I could do something really cool like that for him sometime. I often get little ideas but then I don't follow through. I DEFINITELY have to follow through with SJ. He's just so amazing that I want him to feel half as special as he makes me feel.


FINALLY
I want to thank everyone for helping out with the MS Walk. I REALLY appreciate it. I'm going to get a list from Lorraine and send out thank you cards. I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed by everyone's generosity. It was unexpected but definitely appreciated.

Thank you all very very very very very much!!!

9 Comments:

  • Your smile does it for me!

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Fri Feb 17, 04:25:00 PM MST  

  • You're welcome for the music! I don't think I will ever get that cd back. My friend Matt made it for me forever ago. It's called "Pearl Jam: Music for the Shifting Mood." I have a Dave Matthews Band version as well.

    By Blogger Jen, At Fri Feb 17, 04:58:00 PM MST  

  • Hey handsome...! The Phoenix Storm donation ($200) was made to honor your sis and her accomplishments...and should kinda be unanimous, ok? thanks! (if she sends out tax-deductable thingys...she can use my name and address...thank you!!)

    As for you and the other handsome guy --- congrats on your very first Valentines Day!! Sweet!!

    Coach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Feb 17, 06:05:00 PM MST  

  • Well that explains why he was asking about crabs. I was thinking it was something else ENTIRELY.

    : )

    By Blogger potusol, At Fri Feb 17, 08:44:00 PM MST  

  • awwwwwwwwwww
    I´m sincerely happy u got your crabs- wink

    love yah sweet!

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Sat Feb 18, 08:23:00 AM MST  

  • I'm looking forward to reading your article.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sat Feb 18, 11:24:00 PM MST  

  • First of all... soooo sweet on V day, and congrats to you AND your man.

    Second; most people that talk about or hear about Meth don't know that it is hands down the MOST addictive drug out there; like 100 times more than heroin or crack. The problems that come along with that first bump are astronomical, and like you yourself discovered, it isn't something that is over dramatized or overtalked about.

    Meth scares me. It scares me big time; especially because I personally work in HIV prevention, and I see what it has the potential to do. And the worst part is, that it is definitely starting to live up to that potential. Articles like yours are a great step in the right direction, and I am glad that you wrote it. Keep up the great work! I can't wait to read it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sun Feb 19, 02:31:00 PM MST  

  • It's very sad and I personally think it's underplayed in the media.....or what I mean is that they are not getting the proper message out to the targeted community.....no matter what kind of person u are.....u always turn out to be the same on crystal meth....I've seen it destroy the lives of some wonderful people....I'll have to search for your story when it's done!!!

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Mon Feb 20, 11:20:00 AM MST  

  • Then i guess i should be pretty proud of not touching meth for a year, after dabbling for about 2 years. Amazingly and thankfully, I've had no urge to go back. I've seen it destroy several people i know.

    in other other news.... you had a good v-day! mine was pretty sweet too. i totally got to pamper my guy, who had the crappiest day leading up to our night together. made me feel good. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Mar 08, 10:27:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home