Diary of a Sane Man

Monday, March 13, 2006

No More Lies

I hope you don't mind a little rant against the Catholic Church. I feel like I'm qualified to bitch because I was born and raised Catholic and went to 12 years of Catholic school.

So let me tell you why I'm pissed at the Catholics right now. They are on a mission to persecute and deny the rights of homosexuals. I'm not exactly sure what the fuck we've done to the Catholic church, but if this were the time of the Inquisition I'd have bamboo shoots shoved down my fingernails right now.

First, a couple of months ago, the Pope said it wouldn't allow any gay men into seminaries. Now, this is just ridiculous. As long as the priest stays celibate then it shouldn't matter what his sexual orientation is. But the Pope thinks that a gay man couldn't understand what it would be like to counsel couples (that was one of the points in his edict). I guess celibate heterosexual men are much better at understanding what couples go through.

Then Bishop Olmsted said that an autistic boy can't take Holy Communion because he wasn't able to properly swallow the Host. Now this boy has been taking Communion for THREE YEARS!! I'm sure Jesus Christ is really concerned about fucking rules. Wasn't that his whole mission on earth? To throw away the stupid rules that the religious leaders of the day were preaching? Too bad he wasn't here now, because I'm sure he would be HAPPY that a little autistic boy WANTS to take Communion.

I'm also pissed because the Catholic Bishops in Arizona are telling people to go out and support an amendment that would change the Arizona Constitution banning gay marriage. This amendment would set us back decades. It kills me that they are saying that this amendment protects families.

First, what does a bunch of single celibate men know about families? Second, how does letting two people who love each other threaten families? Third, marriage is a CIVIL affair. I don't give a shit if the Catholic Church says no to gay marriages in their churches. HOWEVER, the United States IS NOT a theocracy. I don't want to be married in a Catholic Church. But I want the federal government to allow my spouse to get social security benefits if I die. I want to be able to visit my spouse in Intensive Care should he get ill. I want to be able to file a joint tax return. I want the over 1,000 rights that are immediately given to married couples.

Remember when inter-racial marriages weren't allowed? Those were sinful and disgusting not too long ago. Times change. We know better now. It saddens me that a man can pay $5,000 and pick from a list of women from the Ukraine, fly her out to the U.S., marry her and instantly have all of the rights and privileges of a married couple. However, a gay couple who have been together 10, 20, 30 years have none! Why does the Catholic Church believe that situation makes for a stronger family than successful long-term homosexual ones?

I'm also pissed because Catholic Charities will no longer do adoptions in Boston. Why? Massachusetts has the gaul to have a non-discrimination policy towards homosexuals. Catholic Charities thinks it's sick to let the gays adopt. So instead of helping gay families adopt children it won't place any children into homes. That's a healthy attitude--let's screw all of the children in Boston because of our homophobia. Adoption agencies across the country have done countless studies and found that children admitted into gay households are not harmed in any way. It kills me this church uses hate as a message.

Finally, I'm pissed at the Catholic Church because they are using the tenets of Christianity to discriminate against homosexuals. They say things like, "We love our gay brothers and sisters but sex outside of marriage is a sin." So let us get fucking married.

That's why they will never like gay marriages. Because if gays can marry and have sex as a married couple, they'd have to accept us as full-fledged members of the Church. They'll never do it. It's so much easier to hate and discriminate.

Sorry about this rant. It probably isn't even cohesive. I'm just a little angry right now. Fortunately, there are religious groups on our side. Many religious leaders are tired of the discrimination and are fighting for GLBT rights. One in Phoenix has written several letters to the editor to the Arizona Republic speaking out against the Catholic Church. They've also petitioned Arizona legislators. The group is called No Longer Silent: Clergy for Justice.

HAPPY TUNESDAY MOTHERFUCKERS

Originally, I was going to play Angry Chair by Alice in Chains but that would have made this entire post WAY too serious and angry (but Jay-mon would have loved it). So... I decided on this little gem from the late 80's early 90's. It's called No More Lies by Michel'le. That's what I want to say to all of the politicians and religious leaders who are PISSING ME OFF! NO MORE LIES!!!

Back to the song... When I was going to Russian school at Defense Language Institute in Monterey I used to play it all of the time. My favorite line is:
I'm not a sucker, chill out your nose is growing Pinocchio.

Lyrics
Stream

12 Comments:

  • Best post EVER, Ted! I feel exactly the same way and i was raised Catholic too... although i only did 4 years' time in a Catholic school :-) Have you ever noticed how many people are taken back when you remind them that marriage, in the United States today, is not neccessarily a religious institution? Most times, i get a response like, "Wow, you're right... i hadn't thought of that arguement."

    Keep fighting the good fight, brother!

    Brian in PA

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Mar 14, 06:38:00 AM MST  

  • There has been a lot of sexual abuse by priests......more than other religions.....or at least it appears that way.....and I believe that the Catholic Church thinks that these pedophiles are gay......when we all know that most pedophiles are straight.....regardless of what gender they target......but I think it's just another way for the Church to cleanse and purge itself of future pedophiles.....great story.

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Tue Mar 14, 08:17:00 AM MST  

  • I loved your rant, every word. I could have written the first paragraph because that was my exact experience. And it was quite cohesive and also inclusive of a lot of what';s disgusting in the Church's policies.

    I live and work in Boston and let me clue you in to some of what's going on. They're furious that they've lost political control of this city. From the time of the Irish immigration until the secularization that started in the 1960s, the cardinal of Boston had a major hand in running the city and the state. Then the priest child-abuse scandal showed them up not only as legally but morally degenerate. That was it. Their influence is gone but in their arrogance and denial, they're behaving as much as possible as if they're still cock of the walk (pun intentional). If at all possible they not only want to keep catholics subjugated, but the rest of us as well.

    Keep up the righteous indignation! I like your blog and will be back.

    By Blogger Will, At Tue Mar 14, 08:18:00 AM MST  

  • Ok I was going to write a blog about how absurd the Catholic Religion but because you did, I'll just attach myself to this one. Today I was listening to Beth and Bill in the morning and there is this WHOLE conundrum about what to do on Friday. Friday being St. Patrick’s Day and in the middle of Lent; can’t eat corned beef on no-meat-Friday. So the Bishop of Phoenix has declared that on this Friday, Catholics may eat corned beef.
    I already have a ton of problems with no meat Fridays during lent considering its roots are not religious but political and second what the fuck does corned beef have to do with Catholicism its CULTURAL not religious. And might I add it’s only an American custom not an Irish one. The guy, who called in to ask, said well if they don’t allow corned beef at my church I’m going to go to yours. Oh I’m so glad that you have that much belief in your religion that you will pick and choose which church to go to based on what rules you can get away with. Doesn’t anyone who follows this religion, not see this as absurd? Isn’t it a slap in the face to your own beliefs? Do Catholics even READ the bible? I know it’s much easier to have one page at time read to you each Sunday and then let someone else tell you what it means. Let me tell you this though, you won’t find anything about No-Meat-Friday, AND you won’t even see anything about St. Patrick or CORNED BEEF.
    Jesus and the bible are like Latin. There is nothing new going to be added to the story. You’re stupid stupid problem was made up and solved by everyday men.

    I also think that the problems of abortion are rooted in Catholic Socially imposed stigmas. If religion didn’t chastise a girl for getting pregnant before marriage (cough cough MARY herself), then chances are most woman would go through the pregnancy and keep the baby or give it up for adoption. Remove the stigma and embarrassment then the choice is made a bit easier. But since she will most likely be hated and shunned by society she would rather stick a wire hanger up her and scrap the sin away. And that folks is why doctors and abortion SHOULD be kept out of everyone else’s domain. You might be able to “save a life” but you can’t get rid of all the wire hangers in America

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Tue Mar 14, 10:33:00 AM MST  

  • Damn now I'm mad!! (and not just about no Angry Chair ;) ).

    My last boyfriend was in the Catholic seminary and said he has never had so much sex as when he was in the seminary. He estimates about 40-50% are homosexuals. So go ahead Herr Von Pope, weed them out. You already have a major shortage of priests, so go ahead, destroy you church, I dare ya!

    Great post Ted, this stuff get me so mad!())*@&*&^#$@

    By Blogger AZJay, At Tue Mar 14, 01:42:00 PM MST  

  • When I first heard about Boston I thought they were doing the responsible thing and getting their priests away from the children! They were just blaming it on the convenient scapegoat. The Catholic Adoption services in Boston have placed many children with gay families over the years, obviously thinking of them as safe homes. I guess god sent out a new memo recently.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Mar 14, 03:34:00 PM MST  

  • I musta been half asleep when I sprung by earlier today.....cuz I wasn't mad then....but I am NOW! LOL

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Tue Mar 14, 05:32:00 PM MST  

  • Can't they just call it a Civil Union for us so we can all get the same legal rights?? I think most of those "scared" of us being able to be married are just opposed to our union in the religious sense (who knows why). To me, it seems like most of us couldn't care less if religion recognizes us, but feel the federal and state governments should allow us equal rights...correct?? Also, thankfully all Catholics don't feel that way.

    By Blogger Kiddo78, At Tue Mar 14, 05:48:00 PM MST  

  • I'm STILL recovering from MY 12 years of Catholic school. I'm on a waiting list to have the guilt device removed from the back of my head too. Very good post. And very true on all aspects.

    By Blogger Ed, At Tue Mar 14, 08:51:00 PM MST  

  • I didn't grow up Catholic, my father was a minister but the religion was quite different. The results are still the same, organizations who are supposedly built on God, use hate to destroy love. It's depressing. By the way, thanks for aiding in my search!

    By Blogger Tim, At Wed Mar 15, 02:28:00 PM MST  

  • Sometimes it was so hard for the HM couples.I am too catholic, but the way they think was also different, anyway in spain recently they had agreed for the HM marriage.. but fortunately catholic (known spanish) dont protest at all...what a libery..
    aside from that i remember watching the film THE PRIEST, it was a nice film.

    By Blogger NeiLDC, At Thu Mar 16, 12:29:00 PM MST  

  • nice post.

    my partner is a joe, and yesterday was st. joseph's day. we celebrated that instead.

    By Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey, At Mon Mar 20, 08:57:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home