Diary of a Sane Man

Monday, October 03, 2005

These Boots Were Made for Walking


Babs Posted by Picasa

What a weekend!

Friday afternoon, Tim, Travis and I set up Echo's booth for the Rainbows Festival. As we were setting up a girl and two guys in their early 20's walked by and asked what Rainbows was all about and why it was being held. I said, "It's like any other festival. To eat and drink." Travis added, "And be Mary." ;-)

So yes, Rainbows is similar to gay pride but it's only got one stage and more people end up dancing. It's a lot of fun. And this year it was twice the fun as previous years because it ran two days.

It was so flipping hot though. It's still over 100 degrees here in the Valley of the (neverending) Sun. So, when we were done, I went home, showered and crashed on the couch for an hour. Then I went to Jason Adonis' house. We had a beer and then went to Honey Bear's Bar B Que. Yum! We hung out, yadda yadda yadda, I was home and in bed by midnight.

Saturday I got up at 7 for rugby practice. I think there were only 7 of us (and that's including two coaches). Then I rushed home, showered, made an egg sandwich and headed up to the festival. I worked the Echo booth from 11-1, switched shirts and worked the rugby booth until 3:30 or so.

Jeffie came over, we walked around and then went to the grocery store. I crashed on his couch for a half hour and then we ate some DELICIOUS casserole, stringy squash (I normally don't eat squash but Jeff is an amazing cook and makes it taste good--must be all the MSG he throws on there) and Blueberry cake for dessert.

Then I went home and was in bed by 11. Sunday I went back to the festival and drank and drank and drank. I hung out with this guy Steve, with which I've chatted online. It's weird, although Jason Adonis and I share this mutual attraction thing and we have a lot of common interests, we hardly ever talk. I've never shared a comfortable conversation with him--it always seems forced. Despite the fact that I met Steve in person for the first time this weekend, we spent the whole day talking up a storm. Unfortunately, Steve is not out--which is against my ever growing list of red flags, so he's not dating material. However, he's cool to have as a friend and that's not bad.

Sunday, my friend Richard hosted the entertainment portion of Rainbows. That's him in the picture above doing his rendition of Jessica Simpson's rendition of Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walking." I'm always amazed watching him. He's truly entertaining and blows away everybody else.

Oh... I did have a scary moment on Sunday. I was standing outside the rugby booth, grabbing men and women to sign up for Storm Rugby, either as a player, sponsor, volunteer or just to watch the games. I grabbed this one guy who was about 6'3" and built like a Mac truck. I told him he should play with us.

He decided to go into hooker mode, grabbed me and said he wanted to have sex with me. Actually, it wasn't that polite but you get the idea. I told him I was flattered but wasn't he more interested in playing rugby???? He tried kissing me a few times and I was able to fend him off.

It was a weird experience. The other rugby guys were no more than 15 feet away but completely oblivious to what was going on. Because the guy was talking in a low voice, so it wasn't obvious what he was saying. The guy was really creeping me out. Fortunately, Steve came over and saved my ass (figuratively AND literally).

There were a lot of other fun moments too:
--I ran into this guy Adrian. I hadn't seen him in over 10 years. We used to go out drinking all of the time when we were wee lads.
--I bitched about missing Desperate Housewives; Steve grabbed my hand and pulled me out of Charlie's and drove me to his house to watch it. Then we went back to Charlie's for a bit.
--Got to hang with my friend Mark, who disappeared from my life for awhile.
--A lot of the rugby guys bought kilts and walked around without underwear.
--The newly single Jay cruised every guy who walked by the booth.
--I barked at Greg to buy me a beer and he did.

All in all, a GREAT weekend.

7 Comments:

  • Ummm, the rugby guys weren't oblivious to you being molested they just really wanted to get that guy on the team. In fact I think I remember hearing someone say "if Ted has to bottom to get some big guys on the team then so be it" or something like that. But I was sleepy from hot weather, beer and drama so I might have been hearing voices again.

    By Blogger potusol, At Mon Oct 03, 11:07:00 AM MST  

  • sounds like you had an excellent weekend :) Glad to hear you were able to fend off the beast WITHOUT your friends help!

    By Blogger The Persian, At Mon Oct 03, 12:07:00 PM MST  

  • LOL You're such a liar! I only cruised about half of them. And I didn't get any numbers. Oh, wait, I'm madame secretary for the team so I got ALL the numbers! Whoo hoo!

    Btw, I did see you talking to huge scary guy. I was watching you too and my little antennae were perked after a while and the look on your face. When I started to get a little suspicious when he wouldn't get go of your hand and walked up to you guys but you got away so I didn't worry about it. But shit, it would have taken about 4 of our biggest guys to tackle him...he was HUGE!

    By Blogger AZJay, At Mon Oct 03, 04:28:00 PM MST  

  • STEVE UH?

    GRRRRRRRR

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Mon Oct 03, 07:05:00 PM MST  

  • yadda-yadda-yadda = fucked like bunnies???

    that's what that Seinfeld commercial I've been seeing lately seems to imply

    By Blogger potusol, At Tue Oct 04, 12:23:00 AM MST  

  • I've experienced this casserole of which you speak, and it is indeed divine.

    By Blogger PJS, At Wed Oct 05, 08:03:00 PM MST  

  • Teddy
    Fisrt of all, it was Jessica Simpson's version.
    Even though I HATE her, she looks hot in that video.

    2ndly, could you pick a picture of me where I look scarier???!!!
    I look enormous!

    And when PJS mentions he was tasted that yummy casserole, does he mean mine or the squash dish Jeff made?

    By Blogger From My Lips to Your Ears, At Thu Oct 06, 04:58:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home