Diary of a Sane Man

Monday, January 09, 2006

Sorrow

Today was the first day of the Arizona Legislature. While the Governor was inside giving her State of the State address, minority groups gathered en masse on the lawn of the Capitol.

I went there to cover a group of clergy that was marching for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender population. They wanted it known that Christianity did not equal hate. And they wanted to make sure that Arizona didn’t become a theocracy. They want separation of church and state. Interestingly, there were many heterosexuals marching for us homosexuals (which totally rocks).

While I was waiting for the clergy to march from Patriot’s Square to the Capitol, I had some time to kill. So I hung out with the several thousand Hispanics on the lawn. They had a stage that was bigger than the one Guns N Roses used in the soccer stadiums of Europe during their Use Your Illusion Tour. And the sound system was louder than any Who concert.

It’s easy to make a thousand jokes about immigration until you actually see the people. These people are dirt poor (not saying Americans aren't). And they’re doing every job that no American would ever deign themselves to do: laundry at hotels, cleaning toilets in stadiums, planting trees and landscaping lawns in the hot Arizona sun for rich and middle class families, etc.

I just find it ridiculous that we have national borders. I know this sounds all hippie and shit, but I feel like we’re all human beings. Sure we have cultural and language differences, but if you want to live somewhere on Earth, then you’re entitled to live there.

Personally, this has affected me. My first great love of my life, Cyrille, was a French citizen. It was a struggle to keep him in the states. Eventually he had to go back. If we were heteros, we could have married and he could have stayed here. But honestly, we weren’t ready for that step anyway. So, he should have just been able to stay and work and pay taxes and assimilate into American life. Obtaining a legal work visa is next to impossible and the Green Card lottery is a joke.

One of our fellow bloggers, Ian, is having a long distance relationship with an American. Why can’t he just move to Miami and be happy?

Anyway, it just kills me to see all of these people on the lawn of the Capitol – men, women, little babies, teenagers, etc. I just feel so bad for them. I know their lives must be really rough. I wish there was some way I could help them all. And I wish politicians would stop pointing the finger at these people as if they were horrible scourges. They’re not—they actually benefit our society.

If you don’t believe me, then go out and start taking the jobs that they do, for the amount of money they receive.

HAPPY TUNESDAY MOTHERFUCKERS!

This song is called Sorrow by the punk band Bad Religion. I think it's an anti-war song, at least that's how I interpret it. Anyway, it's really cool. Listen to it. Maybe you'll like it.

Lyrics
Stream

Posted by Picasa

14 Comments:

  • great song which seems in line with the way you are feeling....it's definitely a very conservative time in our country.....and am not sure if it will change anytime soon.....good for you on covering this story on the religious people in support of gay's.....I know it's what u do for a living....but it's still very commendable

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Jan 10, 06:02:00 AM MST  

  • A borderless world..amazing concept. If only.......

    LOVING the lyrics of the song.

    thanks
    :)

    By Blogger The Persian, At Tue Jan 10, 07:04:00 AM MST  

  • Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
    It rang true one time, it will again. probably when we have the United Federation of Planets!

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Tue Jan 10, 11:00:00 AM MST  

  • I'm reminded of what Mrs. Kraus (the housekeeper on "Benson") said when she gained her American citizenship. She said:
    "Everyone in this country came from somewhere else. It just took me a little longer to get here."

    People in the USA want to close the door on immigration once they've arrived. And they especially want to close the door on people who aren't white.

    - Buddy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Jan 10, 11:22:00 AM MST  

  • Sorry but that is true. The "Minutemen" aren't really concerned about illegal immigrants leaving a few diapers on their property. When you interview and listen to the folks down there during the "celebrated" Minuteman "patrol", you easily see they are pissed off because of all these goddamn f'ing Mexicans flooding into our country and turned our State into some Mexican looking place. It's flat-out bold-faced hatred and bigotry under the guise of "upholding rule of law" and stopping drug-dealers (who are one 100th of one-tenth of one percent of the folks coming here). It loos pretty and sounds nice and they guy you heard on the news sounded so nice and logical and everything. But hey, it's a great excuse to justify their bigotry.

    The same logic is used by conservatives to justify discrimination against homosexuals. They say they shouldn't have "special rights" because they already have the right to marry (a woman), so it's a "speical right" to marry the person they love. They seem so logical and altruistic and often qualify it with "we have no problem with homosexuals, it's not fair that one group of people have special rights." See, they're just upholding the law and making everything "fair", kinda like Superman and the Hall of Justice or something. Bullshit. It's using logic and the "rule of law" or "majority opinion" to justify discrimination against those f'ing faggots and goddamn f'ing Mexicans, period. Time to strip of the bullshit and call spades spades.

    I'm tired of listening to conservatives promoting hatred and bigotry by hiding behind this altruisitc ideal that they are just updholding and defending the Constitution.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Tue Jan 10, 11:51:00 AM MST  

  • Ok. let me qualify. I'm talking more about the face of the Republican party and not "all" conservatives. There are conservatives that don't think that way, I know that. I'm talking about what you constantly hear from the Republican party, Senators, Congressmen, the Republican Party spokesperson, on conservative talk radio, etc. Don't want to paint with too broad a brush.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Tue Jan 10, 11:56:00 AM MST  

  • Since day one this country has had immigration conflicts. People will always want to come here and someone will always try to stop them. This isn't just a problem in our country and it's happened throughout history.

    It's just so unfortunate that in what should be an enlightened age we still get so militant and demonize people who need our help.

    By Blogger potusol, At Tue Jan 10, 11:59:00 AM MST  

  • I wonder what immigration laws were in place during Pangea.

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Tue Jan 10, 01:59:00 PM MST  

  • Buddy: I'm amazed that you can quote anything from Mrs. Krause.

    Jay: Tell me how you really feel. :-)

    SJ: Damn you for making me turn to Wikipedia to look up Pangea.

    By Blogger VeryApeAZ, At Tue Jan 10, 03:32:00 PM MST  

  • I remember the days of Pangea. I completely missing from 1971-1980, but I guess thats because I'm SO YOUNG!

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Tue Jan 10, 04:34:00 PM MST  

  • Yeah, but you still knew about the United Federation of Planets. Pangea indeed....

    By Blogger potusol, At Tue Jan 10, 04:56:00 PM MST  

  • Ted,
    thanks for the thoughtful post. I'm normally more of a lurker..but I feel compelled to post! I also apologize in advance for any ranting and raving....
    

I feel so lucky.... in '93 I 'won' the green card lottery and my American odyssey began.... In fact, in those days 'the lottery' meant that if you were Irish (white, really white) and had a grad school education, you were wanted in the US of A.
    
Soo.... What is it about human nature that always seeks to have someone to look down on?? "I can lift me up if I can put thee down"...could be a universal hymn!! 
It's not a uniquely American dynamic.... It about human nature baby...ugly and universal....If we can make Mexicans the second class citizens, that makes us the first class citizens....whoppee...

    COMMENTARY ABOUT AZ

    I've learned that Arizona ain't Kansas...but it's not completely without redemption!!..... I've had the gift of living in San Francisco for a very long time and I'm just saddened that most of the gay guys I meet here are quite closeted....quite a few are republican - I try hard to understand that! Hey, I've even dated a republican evangelical who got thrown out of his church and simply found another one........ (of course dating a republican evangelical was purely an experiment on my part).

    While I'm not an 'in your face' type...I believe that we can change minds and hearts if we let political action start with ourselves. When you are out at work, out to your family, out to your neighbors, your dentist, your doctor, your supermarket checkout lady, your co-workers, your priest, the people you do business with ...then things can change....

    Things will change...it's inevitable.....you can't continue to keep people down whether Hispanic or gay....

Damien

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Jan 10, 07:41:00 PM MST  

  • Ditto with who ever thanked you for the htoughtful post.

    I thought it was just me who felt that way.

    At times, I am not always 100% proud of the way America or Americans do things. But I am still grateful to be an American. I am only an American because my Grandmother moved here from Czechoslavakia less than 100 years ago.

    It's so funny, because my aunt (Who, like my mother, is a first generation American) constantly complained about the F'ig Mexicans flooding our country. I think she never honestly thought about what would have happened to her had her mother not been allowed to "flood" this country.

    So sad.

    By Blogger From My Lips to Your Ears, At Wed Jan 11, 12:17:00 PM MST  

  • oh dear!
    You have no idea of the times thought about U and Cirille lately.
    the point is that I´m finding problems even to get to your land as a turist!!!
    I´m not planning to move there (for gods sake, the last place in the universe I wanna live as a gay man is AMERICA!)
    But they are a pain in the ass when they have to give me the VISA to enter miami only for one month!

    grrrrrrrr....
    just in the moment when I thought I was cool about it, I´m reading your site and now I wanna kill someone again!

    anyone inteterested?

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Thu Jan 12, 04:24:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home