Diary of a Sane Man

Friday, January 13, 2006

Don't worry about it. We're just having coffee.

Sometimes even your closest friends can be so completely wrong about you. Or, have the wrong perception.

For example, a few times it's been mentioned to me that I seem to be on a mission to be in a relationship with someone. Those weren't the exact words they used but that was the essential message.

Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Did I want to date guys? Yes.

Was I hellbent on having fun? Hell yeah.

But was I desperately seeking out my soulmate and be in another relationship? Fuck no.

I love being single. It's easy in a complicated world. There are no attachments. You can be selfish. Emotions are easily kept in check. And I'd been in two relationships that took up a majority of my adult life.

In the past two years of being single, I've met a lot of wonderful people with great characteristics that would be excellent mates. However, I just wouldn't let it happen. I didn't want to get close to anyone.

That's changing.

I wasn't going to blog about any of this but it's just becoming too much of a part of my life to NOT blog about it.

Tuesday night I went out on a date with a really cute guy who's also very sweet. But I just wasn't into it. Why? Because I seem to be hung up on someone else.

After a couple of false starts (like I said before -- the last thing I'd want is a relationship), we're really jelling. And it's happening organically. There's nothing manufactured or fake about any of it. This makes it even more powerful. Things are happening at a very slow pace (to my liking) and there are "no expectations or commitments" (his words, not mine). But honestly, things are so good that I hope that phrase gets dropped soon.

I'm not sure if things will get serious or not. We may just end up as friends and teammates, but that's okay. Life is about adventure and exploring possibilities, right?

Last night we watched one of my all time favorite movies, "Say Anything." There are a billion great lines in it. So I'll just leave with this one.

Diane Court: Nobody thinks it will work, do they?
Lloyd Dobler: No. You just described every great success story. Posted by Picasa

12 Comments:

  • Why am I the LAST person to know about this?
    - Buddy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Jan 13, 04:32:00 PM MST  

  • Explore those possibilities, gosh darnit. What have you got to loose? The fact that you want to drop the phrase "no expectations or commitments", should tell you something. Take a chance, have fun, have great sex....live life. Who knows what can happen? Isn't that what it's all about?

    By Blogger Ed, At Fri Jan 13, 05:22:00 PM MST  

  • Teddy and Joey sittin in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G ! Have fun guys and just enjoy each other, everything else will just fall into place.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Jan 13, 05:43:00 PM MST  

  • Ted...

    Two posts from me in one week...I hope this won't become a habit ;-)

    As we get older we create our own wisdom. Hopefully, we learn to guard our hearts and aren't calling U-Haul after a few months of dating.

    Sometimes someone comes along who causes us to re-think.....to take down the guard a little bit.... I can only tell you what happened to me.... After 11 years my ex and I went our separate ways....a good thing, we had run our course. I LOVED being single (especially getting to decorate my house the way I wanted LOL).

    Then someone came along....low key...and you just know it's right to explore, push the boat out.....so my advice? - enjoy it, have fun and don't f*ck up the friendship......

    Damien

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Jan 13, 10:08:00 PM MST  

  • shouldn't it be don't fuck up the friendships

    - S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sat Jan 14, 09:59:00 AM MST  

  • Ted,

    I don't know you at all but I know Joe VERY WELL, and I care about him a lot, that is why I just want him to be happy. Please treat him well, care for his fragile heart, because while he may seem hard as stone on the outside he really is a loving and tender guy and deserves to be put on a very high pedestal. No matter what happens, I hope it all works out for the best.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sun Jan 15, 12:40:00 AM MST  

  • Buddy -- my mother is the last person to know, for a very valid reason.

    Ed and Kelly -- I couldn't agree more.

    Damien -- I love to hear your input. You seem very wise to me - I think it's the accent. ;-)

    David -- thanks for stopping by and saying hi.

    S -- it's all a matter of interpretation.

    Anonymous -- I'll do the best I can. :-)

    By Blogger VeryApeAZ, At Sun Jan 15, 01:42:00 AM MST  

  • Less chatting about dating and More eating please! hehe!

    Our journeys are our own...and if you have the oppurtunity to hold the hand of a man along the way - and share your paths together - there is no better way to go I feel.

    'A ohe pau ka 'ike i ka halau ho'okahi!
    (All knowledge is not taught in the same school!)

    Coach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sun Jan 15, 08:06:00 AM MST  

  • Ted,

    That's all I can ask (you doing the best you can). You seem like a great guy, Joe is very lucky.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sun Jan 15, 11:09:00 PM MST  

  • ok... ´nuff said, everybody´s happy and crying the happy tears cuz "Teddy has a BF" (and he seats on a tree...)

    this is just a brief note to let u know that now that I´m marrying someone else I don´t want any commitment with you, doll, just a long hot, hard, sticky, rude and cheap sex session.

    is it clear now???(as if it wasnt b4)

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Mon Jan 16, 04:13:00 AM MST  

  • Good luck with everything!

    "Say Anything" is one of my very favoite movies as well! And I am not just being biased, even though I love John Cusack!

    By Blogger Meghan, At Mon Jan 16, 02:17:00 PM MST  

  • D.C.: Lloyd, why do you have to be like this?
    Lloyd Dobler: 'Cause I'm a guy. I have pride.
    Corey Flood: You're not a guy.
    Lloyd Dobler: I am.
    Corey Flood: No. The world is full of guys. Be a man. Don't be a guy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Jan 27, 12:43:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home