Diary of a Sane Man

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Don't Say Goodbye


Oh NO! Posted by Picasa

Anybody who knows me, knows my love affair with Lindsay Davenport. I love to watch her play tennis. It hurts me each and every time she loses. I know this is irrational but it's true. When she lost 8-6 in the third at the Wimbledon Final this year I had to practically run out of Mr. X's house because I was on the verge of tears.

I don't know why I get so fucking emotional when this girl plays. But I do. I mean I have a tennis ball signed by her sitting on my desk.

Tonight she lost in a horrendous quarterfinal match against Dementieva. She played like absolute shit. She just wasn't there mentally and couldn't get out of her funk. She managed to lose in a tie break in the third which isn't bad. But if she had play just 2 percent better she would have wiped Dementieva off the court.

Mr. X called me after the 2nd set started. He's in Dallas flying back to Phx. He wanted to know the score. I told him. He said he'd call me again for an update when he switched planes in Albuquerque. After Davenport lost I called and left him a voice mail saying not to call me because Lindsay lost and I was pissed and I'd talk to him later in the week.

He called.

I didn't pick up.

He left a voice message saying that it was only a game and not to get so upset.

Well, no shit Sherlock. I KNOW IT'S ONLY A GAME.... I KNOW I'M IRRATIONAL ABOUT CERTAIN SPORTING EVENTS... BUT THAT'S ONE OF MY MANY (yet lovable) QUIRKS!!!!

So.... Lindsay's out and another day will occur. But this might be her last slam. I'll miss watching her--she's brought me a lot of tears (both of joy and anger) and I loved every minute of it.

Oh... it looks like Andre's going to lose in the fifth. Just not a good day for me.... :-(

P.S. I know there are worse things going on in the world--I can't help the way I feel.

2 Comments:

  • if FREUD was alive!....

    we´ll have to do research on your chilhood trying to find a traumatic event with a ball that makes u feel so emotional about tennis games...

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Thu Sep 08, 02:12:00 PM MST  

  • Could you even stand the excitement of the Agassi-Blake match? There's been no better played in quite some time! I define irrational as someone else's view of my rational...your Davenport is my Mauresmo. It's all good.

    By Blogger The Crafty-Girl™, At Fri Sep 09, 06:10:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home