Diary of a Sane Man

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Say a Prayer


Posted by Picasa

I'm sure everyone has overdosed on Katrina stuff. But bear with me here. Before Katrina hit, I issued a moratorium on watching the news. Nothing disgusts me more than television news during a crisis -- real or manufactured. This is why, after graduating with my master's and making my resume tape for TV stations, I made the decision to forget the two years of work I had done and go into print. I probably would have had a pretty good career in television--according to instructors and local TV "talent" I had a "look." This means I could have stood in front of the camera and spewed forth shit, which is what most television "talent" does, and it wouldn't matter. I chose a different (and I think more worthy) path.

So, I've been oblivious to how devastating Katrina really was. Until yesterday. I called my sister Sue to see what was going on. She said that nobody had her from my cousins Linda and Adam (who live in New Orleans) nor from my Aunt Marge and Uncle Bill (who live in Biloxi, MS). She said that my dad was freaking out and couldn't even talk to Sue on the phone (Sue spoke with my stepmom) because he was so upset.

Whenever big hurricanes hit, like the one last year that kind of petered out, my cousin Linda drives to Biloxi, picks up my aunt and uncle and heads for safer ground. It's important to note that both Aunt Marge and Uncle Bill (my dad's brother) have had strokes in the past few years.

Uncle Bill's stroke destroyed the part of the brain that deals with memory. So, he can't remember directions, even simple ones. For example, when Uncle Bill visited my dad he got lost going to the bathroom--even though my dad had shown him where it was earlier in the day. And my dad doesn't have a big ass house either.

The stroke that my Aunt Marge had also done some damage. I believe it's difficult for her to get around. I know that she becomes agitated easily.

So, today Sue called me to say that on Sunday, Aunt Marge was on the phone with her brother. While Aunt Marge was on the phone the police came to the house to tell her that she had to evacuate immediately. For some reason, my cousins never made it to Biloxi. Now, nobody knows if the police helped my aunt and uncle to a shelter or if the police just said they had to go.

Regardless, there's no word on anyone. Dad has been in contact with different organizations and put their names on a watch list, but no luck yet.

So anybody who reads this, just say a quick prayer or whatever you may do (if you're not religious just think good thoughts).

4 Comments:

  • That's so scary. I'll be saying prayers for your relatives. I hope it's just taking some time for them to get somewhere to make contact. Hang in there buddy.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Thu Sep 01, 10:12:00 AM MST  

  • Our thoughts are with you and your family. Please keep us posted. I also have to agree with you about the news. I have hardly watched anything on the TV about Katrina because they really try to dramatize certain situations. That is very noble of you to change your career path.

    By Blogger Chengdus & Don'ts, At Thu Sep 01, 10:28:00 AM MST  

  • MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH U, HON...

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Thu Sep 01, 11:29:00 AM MST  

  • I am numb from watching and reading the news reports. It's just unbelievable how bad things are. My thoughts are with you and your family. I really hope they are okay.

    By Blogger DaveJ, At Thu Sep 01, 12:19:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home