Diary of a Sane Man

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Better Than a Ginsu


Leeumall
Originally uploaded by veryapeaz.
So, two weeks ago I stopped biting my nails. Why is this significant? I've been biting my nails since I was at least four or five.

This means I've been biting my nails for 15 years straight. Okay, 20 years. Alright, 30 years, but who's counting?

What's more amazing is that I've stopped biting them at a fairly stressful time. Just having been dumped by Mr. X, my self esteem is not at an all time high. My hand is still fucked up and my eye, although better, is not 100 percent.

I think I'm able to do difficult things during stressful times. For some reason, I can focus better.

For example, after smoking 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day, I decided to quit on April 2, 1999. One month later, I moved in with my boyfriend. Three months later we moved to Phoenix, Arizona. And four months after I quit smoking I started graduate school full time and worked three part time jobs.

Not exactly, the recipe for success. But for me, it was easier. And six years later I'm still smoke free.

I kind of like having fingernails. For example, I was able to peel the little sticker off my nectarine yesterday without pulling out a knife and cutting away half the fruit. I can also scratch my back and actually feel it. Plus, my nails don't hurt and aren't bleeding from me biting them all the time.

I wonder how long I'll be able to keep this up. Only time will tell.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home