Diary of a Sane Man

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Ladies Who Lunch


company2
Originally uploaded by veryapeaz.
Random Thoughts:

The Ladies Who Lunch is a popular gay saying. How do I know this? I hear it a lot at Echo. It's referenced a lot in various conversations.

Finally, I looked it up on Wikipedia and found it's a song from Company by Stephen Sondheim. I really love Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods so I read about Company.

It sounds like an interesting musical. So I found the song "Ladies Who Lunch" sung by Elaine Stritch. The guy who used this computer before me, had it on iTunes. I think I've heard it before. So I listened to it again.

Then I read the lyrics and listened again. I don't get it. Why is it such a popular song or phrase? (Usually said with a knowing wink.)

It's an okay song but as Richard would say, "Damn, Gina. It ain't all that."

....

I'm lunching a lot this week. I normally go out to lunch maybe every other week. For some reason, everybody I need to interview this week HAS TO DO IT AT LUNCH CUZ THEY'RE SO BUSY.

Yesterday was my only day I got to eat in the office.

I'm not a big fan of eating out at lunch. It's expensive. The food is generally no better than my sandwiches or lean cuisines. And it's difficult to take notes amidst a sea of Splenda wrappers and condiments.

Plus, I like the quiet time of lunch--reading a book or the paper.

....

I was chatting online with SJ the other day and he told me about a conversation he had when trying to cancel his AOL. He doesn't have a computer at home and only kept it so he could have the same e-mail address (he didn't realize he could keep his AOL e-mail address for free).

When he told me he was going to cancel I told him to be aware that they will say or do anything to keep him. I also warned that they will offer to give him three months free, but he'll just have to call back again.

Last year I had to sign up for a 3-month membership for a computer column I was writing. Cancelling was murder. They kept extending me. Finally, I faked tears and sobbed on the phone to PLEASE CANCEL THIS ACCOUNT!

Anyway, I thought his story was funny and asked if I could repost it here. It's not cleaned up, so excuse any grammar or spelling errors.

no1sunsfanted (2:05:14 PM): lol... exactly. oh so why did jen fall over the chair laughing and the girl on the phone you were trying to sell tickets too?... i saw that. i thought that was unusual.
JTapp77 (2:05:31 PM): oh because the conversation went something like this
JTapp77 (2:05:41 PM): she talked and talked and talked
JTapp77 (2:05:45 PM): and i was like, uh huh
JTapp77 (2:05:52 PM): answer i don't have a computer at home
JTapp77 (2:06:13 PM): she was like well, finally i just was getting to the point where i didn't care.
JTapp77 (2:06:55 PM): she said so when you had a computer at home, what did you use it for? I said um cybersex. She said OH well have you tried cybersex with our high speed internet
JTapp77 (2:07:05 PM): i was like, um i don't do it anymore. I like the real thing better
no1sunsfanted (2:07:14 PM): LOL
JTapp77 (2:08:00 PM): she then said well you know that AOL has the best fire wall and virus protection. I said well considering again i only have a work computer, I don't care what protection they have. If it goes down, i go home early.
JTapp77 (2:09:37 PM): then she said well would you think about using AOLs new high speed internet to see movies and videos etc. I said i don't have a home computer so i would only be using it at work. I don't care enough about that stuff. She said well how do you know if you haven't tried them. Its like if you only ate vanilla ice cream how would you know if you like chocolate. I said um that argument doesn't really work, because i could totaly tear it apart by asking you similar questions
JTapp77 (2:09:59 PM): (i was going to ask her well, have you tried sticking barb wire up your pussy to see if it feels good?)
JTapp77 (2:10:18 PM): she agreed that it wasn't a solid argument.
JTapp77 (2:11:06 PM): she said well i can give you two free months. I siad thats okay i don't need it. It would be like me paying for an OBGYN to look at my vagina every month.
JTapp77 (2:11:14 PM): thats when Jen fell over.
JTapp77 (2:12:02 PM): she said, you are definitly one of the best customer conversations i've ever had. I said, I'm just wondering how many more questions you have to go through to convience me to not cancel before you say okay.
JTapp77 (2:12:11 PM): so then I started trying to sell her a ticket to ATC

7 Comments:

  • hehehehe too funny.....now there's a difference between AOL and AIM, right? Cuz I just got AIM since so many seem to use it....but I'm under the impression it's free....as far as that Phrase....never heard it before....and I also like the solitude of lunch....by myself!

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Wed May 03, 04:34:00 PM MST  

  • If I remember, Company didn't do well on Broadway. It was during his slumpy bitter days. You should watch Camp. It has one of the funniest scenes with high schoolers singing that song. On also, we have to watch Saved too!

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Wed May 03, 05:03:00 PM MST  

  • What makes Joe such a wonderful person is that he actually gave this woman his two comps for TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE.

    By Blogger Jen, At Wed May 03, 07:27:00 PM MST  

  • So you changed your handle on yahoo. Ah ha! Now I know how you've been avoiding me. Joey must have me on invisible too. He used to always be on! I know I'm annoying and hard to get rid of but really! :( It always happens that way. You're friends get boyfriends and then POOF! They're gone! Heheheh I just said Poof! LOL I'm totally kidding about this btw, I just had nothing to say really. [grin]

    By Blogger AZJay, At Wed May 03, 10:01:00 PM MST  

  • Jay you Schmuck, its AMERICA ONLINE not YAHOO MESSENGER. I kept that but you were never online for me to talk to and between you and tony, I don't know anyone on it.
    I may not be good at tennis, but the balls in your court now!

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Thu May 04, 11:02:00 AM MST  

  • http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

    ...just for giggles...

    coach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu May 04, 11:48:00 AM MST  

  • In a former incarnation I used to work for AOL, and that onversation is SO TRUE!! Working in cancellations is like whoring for dollars in a town full of eunuchs.
    And I love Sondheim.
    DEL

    By Blogger A Bear in the Woods, At Thu May 04, 04:19:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home