Diary of a Sane Man

Monday, April 24, 2006

You Give Good Love

Today (Tuesday the 25th) is SJ's birthday. I'm going over his house to make him my world famous Meal-in-a-Bag (shrimp with linguine). After that we'll have cake (which I baked) and open presents.

I'm not sure if you could tell or not but I don't cook or bake well. Tonight I tried baking SJ's cake. I bought a non-stick cake pan and some cake mix. I followed the directions to a T. I think Betty Crocker did a great job because the cake batter was very tasty!

I bought two dark 9" round cake pans. It said if you use round cake pans or dark cake pans to subtract 2 - 5 minutes of cooking time. But it never said what to do if it's both round AND dark. I think I got it out in time because it passed the toothpick test and it wasn't burned.

I waited for it to cool completely before putting the icing on it. The only problem was, both round cakes rose in the middle. I didn't know what to do. So I just put icing on top of the one and plopped the other one on top of it.

Then I started to put icing on the top cake and on the sides. But the bottom cake had such a big bump in the middle that the two didn't come together well. So there's this huge gap on the outer edges. I figured I could hide the gaps with frosting.

I thought, "Oh, he'll never notice."

But then I noticed a little fissure on the top. I smeared some more frosting to cover it and went back to the sides. After I filled in the gaps on the outer edges I was pretty happy with it. But then I noticed the top of the cake had a HUGE CANYON-LIKE CREVASSE on the top.

I just hope it tastes better than it looks. I don't remember having these problems the last time I baked a cake. Of course, I was eight and was using my sister's Easy Bake Oven, but that's besides the point.

HAPPY TUNESDAY MOTHERFUCKERS!

Everyone knows I'm a huge hard rock fan. But I'm also a huge pop lover. Unfortunately, today they don't make much pop music--it's mostly Hip-Hop. It's okay, I'm just not a fan.

But I am a fan of the very first Whitney Houston Album. It will be album #2 in my top six memorable albums.

I bought this record before Whitney fever hit. I can't remember the first single, maybe You Give Good Love, but I heard it and immediately bought the record. (Yes, the record AKA LP--that's long playing record for you youngins). That was in 1985. I can't believe it's been over 20 years. I'm fucking old.

I was immediately hooked after playing the record for the first time. I thought Whitney was so beautiful and had such an amazing voice. I listened to this record every day for probably a year. I almost always listened to it in the shower and sang along.

I haven't really thought about it or listened to it in years. But it's definitely a piece of my history. If you like your pop with a little R&B, check this record out. I'm listening to it for the first time in a long time and it still stands up pretty well. Some of the faster paced songs are really 80s, but it's still good stuff.

Here's a little dedication to SJ--You Give Good Love
Lyrics
Stream

13 Comments:

  • I loved her first two albums and even though I hate to admit it I kind of liked her version of "I Will Always Love You" (Dolly's is better). I also seem to remember drunk dancing to "So Emotional" at a couple of less than reputable clubs (shocking).

    : )

    By Blogger potusol, At Tue Apr 25, 02:31:00 AM MST  

  • As momma always says, Looks aren't that important. Its whats inside that counts.
    (i would insert SJ joke here, but this is your blog, not his :-) )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Apr 25, 04:40:00 AM MST  

  • ohhhhhhh a Stepford Wife...

    in training

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Tue Apr 25, 06:10:00 AM MST  

  • you bake? You ARE the perfect boyfriend!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Apr 25, 07:18:00 AM MST  

  • The cakes rose up in the middle, Ted? That means you have more cakes to eat !!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Apr 25, 09:37:00 AM MST  

  • I'm glad you didn't dedicate Mary J. Blige's Real Love.. I'm searching for a real love.. I would think umm we need to talk.
    Does that fissure have any similarities to the Grand Canyon? =-*

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Tue Apr 25, 09:55:00 AM MST  

  • There are 2 simple ways to handle the cake situation and it can partly depend on your serving dish.

    I come from trailer trash so we just served up cake on a regular plate that was slightly curved to keep the grits and gravy from sloshin' off the sides. You just put the first layer upside down - as the sides of the plate come up, they support the sides of the cake.

    Now if you have a proper serving platter or the bump in your cake layer is noticably larger than the curve of your plate - you take a long bread knife and slice the mound off of one of the cakes to make a flat base for the next layer. Depending on the cake flavor, you can also drizzle a little liqueur, chocolate or fruit sauce on the base before frosting (especially good if it turned out a little dryer than you hoped).

    By Blogger Robguy, At Tue Apr 25, 01:18:00 PM MST  

  • I think I remember now why I do not like Whitney...Between you and Lorraine...... I am very proud of you baking a cake, and I am SURE Joe will like it (or he will anser to me!):)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Apr 25, 04:15:00 PM MST  

  • aww that's so cute! A labor of love is always beautiful, and that post was so sweet!

    :)

    By Blogger The Persian, At Tue Apr 25, 07:34:00 PM MST  

  • Do they even still make Easy Bake Ovens?

    By Blogger Ed, At Wed Apr 26, 09:31:00 AM MST  

  • Ed.....I have 5 nieces....they still make em.....but they aren't as retro kewl as the old ones.....Ted, Whitney's first album is one of my fave's also.....The Greatest Love of All.....and Saving all my love for you.....are some great songs.....hope you had a great celebration.....I know I woulda caught the kitchen on fire!

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Thu Apr 27, 06:10:00 AM MST  

  • Awww...how sweet! You cooked AND baked! All I did for Boy From New York City was take him out to eat (with his friend) to Buca de Bepo and buy him some Kenneth Cole Black (that came with a free umbrella, which he forgot at the restaurant). I'd say you outdid me!

    By Blogger Kiddo78, At Thu Apr 27, 12:40:00 PM MST  

  • Hey, like your blog you are a funny guy. Here's a tip for the next cake when they cool and you take them out of the pan turn the bottom one upside dowm then the lump will be on the bottom. The second cake goes right side up and the weight from the other cake plus the icing should smosh the bump :) Happy baking!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sat Apr 29, 06:03:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home