Diary of a Sane Man

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Angry Chair

Sitting on an angry chair
Angry walls that steal the air


That's the first two verses of a song by Alice in Chains called Angry Chair. Right now, I'm sitting in mine.

Why? Because the woman pictured here beat her 10-year-old son to death. You can read more about it at the Arizona Republic. The crime itself is disgusting. But what really struck me is that on the evening news tonight, the news anchor said she's the adoptive mother. Why does this piss me off more?

Because right now the Arizona legislature is set to pass a bill that would limit adoptions to married couples only (with very few exceptions). The bill was drafted by the Center for Arizona Policy. CAP is a right-wing Christian organization that introduces anti-gay bills every year. Although it's a small organization it wields a lot of power.

How do I know this adoption bill is anti-homosexual? One of the main sponsors of the bill told the Arizona Republic that he doesn't want gays to have the ability to adopt. I wrote a story on this. It comes out in tomorrow's Echo. It should be on the Web site tomorrow if you're interested in reading it.

What's even more frustrating is that when the bill was before the Family Services Committee, only THREE groups spoke out in support of it: CAP, The Catholic Church (God how much I hate that fucking institution), and some Right to Life organization. In contrast, over 20 people spoke out against the bill. Many of the speakers were from ADOPTION AGENCIES! Of course the bill passed. And it will probably be approved by the Senate and sent to the governor.

If you live in Arizona and read this, please do me a favor and go to the Arizona Human Rights Fund's Advocacy Center. All you have to do is click on Advocacy Center and then click on HB 2696. It will bring up a form that will automatically send an e-mail to the governor. In fact, even if you're not from AZ, go onto the site and write her. She can't sign this bill into law. It must be vetoed.

I get so angry writing for Echo. It'd be so nice to be oblivious to the shit that goes on everyday. But it's my job to report on it. Unfortunately, not enough people care. They read the stories but then figure, "What the hell can I do?" They can do a lot. All it takes is an e-mail, a phone call, a letter or a visit to your representative.

But back to Hulsey. It drives me nuts that the so-called "pro-family" organizations (in other words Christian fundamentalists) would rather see a kid be killed by a heterosexual woman then grow up happy and healthy in a family that has two dads. Fuck it pisses me off. I'm gonna drink some wine and hope and pray (yes, even homos have a God they can talk to) that this bill never becomes law. If it does become law, I'm going to have to turn up the timetable on my move back east. Cuz this shit's for the birds. Posted by Picasa

15 Comments:

  • Oh my God, that's really really sad. I can't say I have a strong personal stand on issues related to homosexuals - gays and lesbians don't exist where I live (at least in theory). but I feel so bad for the poor kid.

    By Blogger Sumithra, At Wed Apr 05, 11:33:00 PM MST  

  • This sort of thing frustrates me to no end. We were having a discussion tonight about the fact that "the gays" are portrayed as having this evil agenda. I don't know ANYONE with evil plans. All the people I know just want to live their lives and have the same opportunities and rights as anyone else. Hell I'd just like to be able to donate blood at this point. But you're right, the only way for things to change is for people to get involved and to lead by example.

    By Blogger potusol, At Thu Apr 06, 12:11:00 AM MST  

  • Fuck. I sent the email and will call and email who I can. Fuck fuck fuck. This makes me so mad.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Thu Apr 06, 01:30:00 AM MST  

  • Very interesting post, but I'd be a lying Canadian if I said I hadn't dropped by hoping for a little HNT. :(

    By Blogger toobusyliving, At Thu Apr 06, 05:43:00 AM MST  

  • Hate to disillusion you....but you have been in Arizona for a while....and the East has become almost as ass backwards....the whole fucking country has gone back 30 years in the past 10 years....I feel your frustration....and all I pray for is that people will become less complacent and more organized in fighting....over the small steps taken....each day....to completely limit our civil rights....

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Thu Apr 06, 07:03:00 AM MST  

  • ...not east Ted - very very West! Hawaii is calling and they need a rugby team there too! Let's all go and start one!

    Seriously - AHRF is a good start - and I use that site all the time to voice my opinion - but really we all need to call and visit your state reps to make a difference. Make an appointment and keep it. Put a face behind the emails. And vote. And vote. And vote.

    coach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Apr 06, 07:13:00 AM MST  

  • It really gives me hope that people are actually starting to pay attention to the extremely misguided and hurtful laws that are being passed everyday in the US. Passed because those who they affect the most, for some fucked up reason, aren't standing up and saying HELL NO! Thank you for keeping these issues in front of your friends and readers. One angry voice can lead to many!

    By Blogger Tim, At Thu Apr 06, 08:19:00 AM MST  

  • It's strange that you wrote this article as I've been feeling very broody lately and I can't help it which is depressing. Also, being a single gay man, there's not much I can do about it.

    In the United Kingdom, there's really a law for single gay men to adopt, but actually it's still a very difficult and complex process. Everybody may feel broody at some stage in their life, but when a gay man does, all hell breaks loose!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Apr 06, 10:48:00 AM MST  

  • You know my thoughts on how "marriage" is too religiously intertwined to be separated out and how I think all "marriage" will be disolved by the separate church and state government. Then all couples will have to then have a civil partnership agreement.

    But adoption and foster care have NOTHING to do with religion of any kind. This is complete discrimination. I'm surprised more single heterosexuals aren't in opposition since it affects them greatly too.

    By Blogger Actions and Consequences, At Thu Apr 06, 11:06:00 AM MST  

  • In WI a single person can adopt, but if a couple wants to adopt they must be different genders. The lesbian couple that I donated for wasn't able to adopt eachother's child, and since my parents don't believe that gay people should have the same rights as straight people, my parents don't know my children.

    By Blogger Robguy, At Thu Apr 06, 02:42:00 PM MST  

  • Raised as an Irish Catholic, which is probably the strictest catholics of all, I must say the Church is a vile, corrupt, self serving institution with centuries of dirty secrets,scandal, sanctioned murders,lies,cover ups,perpetuators of mass hysteria and hypocrisy at its worst. Last time I checked,when these politicians were elected and took their oath of office, they placed their hands on the Bible and swore to uphold the constitution.They did not place their hands on the constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Apr 06, 10:37:00 PM MST  

  • The previous comment was made by some friend of mine to make fun of my current mood swings.

    This is my own comment: although I'm not awfully keen on the idea of raising a child on my own, I do think that gay people everywhere should be allowed to adopt whether they are on their own or in a relationship. This is about human rights, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Apr 07, 08:08:00 AM MST  

  • I am so with you on this.

    By Blogger Ed, At Fri Apr 07, 03:02:00 PM MST  

  • That really is maddening. Ugh. I'm going to click on that site b/c if AZ passes, other states will think they can too. I may lean right on some issues sometimes, but things like this are definitely not those times. I hate that lady! And she's ugly.

    By Blogger Kiddo78, At Fri Apr 07, 03:25:00 PM MST  

  • from the looks of it...crystal meth was involved.
    that mug shot is creepy.

    By Blogger jay lassiter, At Sun Apr 09, 06:39:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home