Diary of a Sane Man

Friday, April 28, 2006

Flashback Friday


tmobile_sda_music
Originally uploaded by veryapeaz.
I switched cellular service provider two weeks ago. I've had Verizon for two years. Despite their claims that they've got the best service in the world (which enables them to charge higher fees), I couldn't get service in certain rooms in my home. And increasingly, my text messages would not get sent. I'd have to wait three minutes before the network would be back up.

That kind of defeats the purpose of a text message. It's supposed to be instantaneous--for moments when you're thinking of someone and want to say hi or whatever.

So I called Verizon and told them I was thinking of switching carriers. I told them I could go to Cingular or T-mobile, get more minutes, unlimited text messaging and pay less money.

They came back with, "It's the service."

My reply, "Oh, the service that can't even send a text message reliably?"

Another thing that bothered me about Verizon was that they "cripple" their phones. Phone manufacturers build in a bunch of cool functions. Verizon makes those manufacturers disable that functionality.

For example, any bluetooth phone on Verizon will only allow you to use a bluetooth headset with the phone. You can't exchange data via bluetooth because Verizon wants you to have to pay for that service.

You want a phone with Wi-Fi? Sorry, you have to pay $50 a month for Verizon's Internet service. No free Wi-Fi for you.

So, I got this smoking deal on a Smartphone with T-mobile and I only had to sign up for one year! I get free Internet service (the full thing--not WAP service) at free Wi-Fi hotspots. Or I can pay extra for T-mobile's service. When I'm at SJ's, I get free service courtesy of his landlord's wireless network. (Speaking of SJ. We have a Queer and A in Echo each issue. He decided to answer the Q&A questions on his blog. It's a fun read, check it out.)

I can also transfer my own ringtones to the phone for free from my computer. I don't have to pay $2.00 for a 30-second clip of a song. I just transfer it over.

The phone allows me to watch movies, television shows and listen to music on it. And I can run programs on it. I won't be writing any columns on it, but it's handy if someone needs to e-mail me a column. I can check my e-mail, download the document it, make quick edits and send it back.

I LOVE my Smartphone. :-D

So why is today Flashback Friday?

My blogging buddy Marc is recovering from surgery. He normally plays a song and writes about why it was significant. He won't be able to do that until next Friday so I thought I'd do it for him.

I chose Faith. It's a good 80s song. George Michael was talking about faith in relationships but he could be talking about anything in life really. I have faith that Marc will have a speedy recovery. Here's to you Marc!

Oh, if the link doesn't work I'll fix it tonight. I'm at work on a stupid Mac. I HATE FUCKING MACS. What good is "elegance" if half the World Wide Web looks like crap on it and you can't do the things you can on a REAL personal computer. As much as I hate Microsoft's dominance at least it freaking works.... end of rant.

Lyrics
Stream

5 Comments:

  • Verizon is expensive I'll give you that. But I can do all that stuff with my phone (bluetooth file exchange, download my own ringtones, use the internet and view my e-mail). And the reason I can do the bluetooth and ringtones bit is because of my Mac. Your mileage may vary is all I'm saying. : )

    p.s. I LOVE PCs, because they break down all the time and give me a job to pay my bills. ; )

    By Blogger potusol, At Fri Apr 28, 11:08:00 AM MST  

  • ..ouch. flaming fucking hate macs? wow - who knew!? the darkside is always easy for some i guess. good to know where your head is tho...good to know.

    p.s. I LOVE PCs too, because they break down all the time and give me more work on my mac ; )

    coach....hehe - a Verizon/Mac User

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Apr 28, 12:45:00 PM MST  

  • I hate my cell Co.

    I was supossed to be able to use my cell phone while I was in Florida cuz my Co. had an agreement with Cingular...

    the fact was that I (my hubby) had to buy a new cell phone to use in America cuz mine died the minute I stepped on Miami..

    Cingular my ass!

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Fri Apr 28, 08:41:00 PM MST  

  • Lemme know how you like T-Mobile. That's the company I would go to if I switched and I just might do that. I think I'm paying way too much. T-Mobile has a good GSM network too.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Sat Apr 29, 01:01:00 AM MST  

  • U R such a great guy, Ted....thanks.....and Faith is one of the songs I'll be talking bout sometime! It's in the top 100.

    By Blogger The_Gay_Dude, At Sun Apr 30, 06:26:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home