Diary of a Sane Man

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Dust N Bones

Phoenix sucks when it comes to clean air.

Why? We live in a Valley (hence the name Valley of the Sun). So, we have all of these emissions from cars and buses that get trapped in the city. In the morning you can clearly see a brown haze over the city. It's disgusting.

Ten years ago when I first lived to Phoenix, we would have these killer storms. They would come in and wash away the pollutants and remove the thick coating of dust on the cars, sidewalks, etc.

But Phoenix has gotten so big that it creates this immense bubble. Why? Phoenix is nothing but concrete, very few trees--even for a desert city--so all of the concrete and trapped air creates intense heat. In the summer monsoon months, storms that come in from the south have a difficult time breaking through this bubble. Another byproduct of urban sprawl.

So, for people like me who are allergic to everything, it's very difficult to breathe. My two steroid inhalers and pills are no match for the city. I've got to move within another year or two or else I will become one bloody nose after another (a byproduct of the inhalers).

So why am I bitching? We've just set a record for no measurable rain. Here's the Republic's little writeup. So on top of not being able to breathe, I'm terribly dry. My skin is peeling everywhere. I wake up and my hands are a chalky white, my legs are scaly as are my face and head. It's disgusting. So I carry a little bottle of lotion and continually apply and I drink lots o water but it's just not enough. If it doesn't get any better I'm going to Costco, buying a vat of lotion and filling up my tub with it. I'll lay there for an hour or so. I bet my body is so dry that it'll suck up the entire tub's worth of lotion--no messy cleanup! Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

  • Come on down Florida is calling you, I was the same way as you until I moved to the beach, don't think I'll ever leave now.

    By Blogger DEREK, At Sat Jan 28, 05:53:00 PM MST  

  • You sound like a mess buddy, hope it rains soon!

    By Blogger The Persian, At Sun Jan 29, 05:55:00 AM MST  

  • Wow! I had no idea it was that bad down there. Buddy - The Ranch is calling you!! Our skies are cyrstal clear, the sun toasty warm and the peace - well it's peaceful! Your Stormer wife Karri just spent a few nites here for just those reasons you mentioned and she looks and feels fabulous again! LOL! Grab you lotions and potions and BF and come spend abit of time up here where the air is as fresh as it used to be down there!

    Hugs...

    coach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sun Jan 29, 08:09:00 AM MST  

  • I look like that and I live in Pittsburgh! There are only 59 days a year we have sunlight (hence the pale look) and winter runs from Sept-June (hence the dried skin from the heat being on 9 months a year) and this friggin football team (I am wearing a Ravens swearshirt right now), I was planning on moving to Phoeniz!!!!! Maybe we can meet in the middle???????????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sun Jan 29, 09:46:00 AM MST  

  • Heh, that's a cool pic. That tub of lotion sounds like a good idea. I also use a body wash that's a mosturizer too. Find one that suits you (just make sure it's chocked full of moisturizer) and use it all the time in the shower. Also, Aloe Vera is your new best Leetle Friend.

    By Blogger AZJay, At Mon Jan 30, 01:37:00 PM MST  

  • oh sorry... I just started staring at the pic and I just couldnĀ“t keep on reading---

    what s all this about?

    Mwah!

    Ian

    By Blogger Ian Gutierrez, At Mon Jan 30, 06:28:00 PM MST  

  • Is that picture of you? You look like a different guy in every one! You could spend a humid week in Minneapolis by the lakes this summer - that'll help!

    By Blogger Kiddo78, At Tue Jan 31, 05:12:00 PM MST  

  • I get you on the pollution and allerigies thing; ATL is horrible. HORRIBLE!!! Since I have moved here, it has gotten progressively worse; I thought I had bad allergies before, but it is getting out of control. I still refuse to take meds for it, but one more series of waking up for 2 months every day with a bloody nose, and I may consider it. At least a humidifier does counter SOME of it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Feb 01, 09:59:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home