Diary of a Sane Man

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Would?

Last night Jay-mon and I headed to the Marquee Theatre to see 90s grunge rockers Alice in Chains. As you know, lead singer Layne Staley became hopelessly addicted to heroin and went into hiding for about 6 years until his death in 2002 (overdose).

This year the boys in the band hired singer/guitarist William DuVall to sing Layne's parts. Despite AIC's reputation has a hard rock band, most of what they do is grounded in harmonies between Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley. And Layne was such a beloved figure that it would be very difficult to fill his shoes.

Fortunately, DuVall did an AMAZING job. He doesn't have Layne's voice, but he's a great singer in his own right. And he's got a great presence on the stage. And it's nice to see an African-American singer for a rock group. They (and women) are way too underrepresented in that genre. I'd like to see (and hear) more minorities break into rock.

The crowd was just as fun as the stage. There was the drunk guy who kept falling into me and invading my personal space. The two guys in front of me who were singing, head banging and doing choreographed hand gestures to each other. I think they might have been brothers, cuz they looked alike. Then there was the white trash older woman (probably late 40s, early 50s) who started bitch slapping this 20-something girl next to me and shouting, "Stay away from my man!"

The show was exhausting. I was so tired after jumping up and down and singing and screaming for a couple of hours. But it was FUN! FUN! FUN!

PICTURE TIME!!!

Here are the pix from the car wash.







Brian thinks he's SO clever with the hose





Eric pretends I'm the paparazzi





Alfonzo took a break from rimming the tires




Joe's so cute




Karri's cute too!





I LOVE this picture. There were a lot of honking cars!





Happy Tunesday!

AIC finished the show with Would? Sadly, it was written by Layne Staley in memory of Andy Wood. Andy Wood was the lead singer of Mother Love Bone (the precursor to Pearl Jam) who died of an overdose. It's a great song.


5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home