Diary of a Sane Man

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Hooker with a Penis


Maynard Posted by Picasa

Saturday morning, Buddy and I drove up to Jerome. We're writing an extensive feature on their "Out in Jerome" day, held the third Saturday of each month. We got up there around 11 and walked around the town. We stopped into one of the gay-owned galleries. The couple (Brian and Danny) immediately invited us to their house for drinks that afternoon, since it was Danny's birthday. We accepted and continued on our journey through town.

We walked around for an hour before eating at a gay-owned restaurant called the Flatiron Cafe. I had a delicious chicken quesadilla and Buddy had the salmon quesadilla. We then went to our hotel -- The Mile High Inn. This too is owned by a gay couple (Jet and Liz). Buddy's room was called Spooks, Ghosts & Goblins. Mine was Pillow Talk - I was hoping that meant I was going to get lucky... it didn't.

After checking in, I went to the Soiled Dove Studio and interviewed this awesome lady. She creates 3-D sculptures with kaleidoscopic elements. It's too difficult to describe and it doesn't translate well on film (I took some pix) but believe me, it's cool.

After that, I met up with my friend Mark and his friend Dijon. They got some chow and we hung out for a bit. Then I went back to my room and freshened up (it was well over 100 degrees and I was sweating like a pig). I then had to walk about 15 minutes down the hill to get to another artist's studio. See, Buddy left to go drinking with Michael and Danny but I had work to do.

As soon as I stepped outside the heavens opened and poured like there was no tomorrow. It was also thundering and lightning. I tucked my notepad under my shirt and trudged down the slippery slope. I got to the studio completely drenched but it was actually a lot of fun. I hadn't walked in the rain in a long time, so it was all good.

The artist I interviewed did all of this crazy stuff with bugs and sewing patterns and stuff. Very different but also very interesting. It was nothing like I'd ever seen before and he was an interesting man. He's also one of the owners of the Flatiron Cafe that I had lunch at earlier.

On the walk up the hill, Buddy passed by and gave me a lift. I walked around some more and talked to some more shop owners, then went to the hotel, showered and changed. Buddy had his own bath but I had to use the communal one. Which was fine. I like walking around naked in front of strangers.

After having a crazy dinner with Buddy's friend Tanya (her naked picture is hanging in our office) and her girlfriend, we walked around a bit. Some drag queens from Flagstaff came down and did a show at the Mile High.

I'm not a big fan of drag. I'll go to Richard's shows because 1) he's my friend and I like to support him 2) he's actually entertaining.

Now, these drag queens weren't very good. But I talked to them afterwards and they were very sweet, so I hope they keep doing it. They enjoy it and it makes them happy.

I bar hopped a bit but mostly hung out at Paul and Jerry's (not a gay-owned bar). At Paul & Jerry's is this big old Rockola Jukebox. I played Guns n Roses, Reba McEntire, Def Leppard and some other random songs/groups.

The weird part was they didn't have Tool or Pearl Jam. Why is that weird? Dave Abbruzzese (a guy who drummed for Pearl Jam until he was cermoniously fired in 1994) and Maynard James Keenan (the lead singer of Tool) are both residents of Jerome. I really wanted to play Elderly Woman in a Small Town or Stinkfist or Sober or Hooker with a Penis, but no such luck.

Anyways.... I had a great time. I got hit on by Danny (the birthday boy) and some other fellow from Sedona. But they were much too old for me (my fake ID says I'm 25). So there was no pillow talk in Pillow Talk that night.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home