Diary of a Sane Man

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Inside Job

I am a flyhalf.

As recently as last week, if someone asked which position I played, my initial instinct would be to say, "I play flyhalf but I'm a winger."

Today, I can say with conviction that I truly am a flyhalf.

My rugby career started as full back. But I'm too scrawny for that position. Then I got switched over to wing. More specifically, I played weak-side wing. I loved it. I had my own turf. And I did a pretty good job of protecting that turf.

Weak-side wing was easy to master and it allowed me to see the game unfold. I did a lot of watching, but that was okay. I learned how the game was played and it allowed me to start being more vocal about what plays should be called. I was able to point out things the opposing team were doing and I felt confident enough to let my teammates know about it.

This year through attrition I quickly went from weak-side wing, to backup flyhalf to flyhalf. In fact, I only had one practice to prepare as flyhalf for the game against San Francisco in Dec. I know I wasn't the first choice to do the job. So, I felt bad doing such an important position on the team when there were probably others better suited for it.

As wing, all I had to do was catch the ball and run as fast as possible. As flyhalf, I have to assess the situation and call an appropriate play, get the ball from Mike (who takes it from the scrum or lineouts), try to avoid someone barreling down on me and pass it to the correct person. I also have to recognize where we are on the field and be able to kick us out of trouble.

It was really daunting because I'm not the best passer and my instinct is to run - not pass. But something has happened recently. I've been able to pass the ball well and with accuracy. And my kicking has improved. I can't boot it as deep as others, but I'm pretty accurate now. And I can catch most anything thrown in my direction. So if Mike doesn't throw a perfect pass, it won't screw up the rest of the offense.

I know now that every pass I throw won't be perfect. But that's okay. Because nobody on the field ever throws perfect passes each time.

This probably sounds like an "I'm great" post. It's not meant to be. I'm skilled in some areas and deficient in others. But I came to the realization today at practice that I'm a flyhalf. And that made me happy. :-)

I have 20 minutes to post my Tunesday song....


HAPPY TUNESDAY!
This song is all about believing in yourself. It's a simple but pretty Pearl Jam song called Inside Job. I love the lyrics at the end:
Let me run into the rain
To shine a human light today

Lyrics
Song

2 Comments:

  • You lost me at Flysomething or other...LOL So when should I bring my pom pons?

    By Blogger Jimmi, At Wed Feb 07, 08:54:00 AM MST  

  • I love it when somebody is excited at their growth in any area, skill in sport, knowledge, emotional growth, you name it. I don't even know what a flyhalf, wingthingy is, but I think it's great that you love doing it. Maybe I'm crazy, but I get a rush out of that.

    By Blogger A Bear in the Woods, At Thu Feb 08, 06:16:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home